Naproxen is giving me severe stomach pain

Posted , 22 users are following.

it feels like a cross between trapped wind and menstrual cramps and starts thirty or so minutes after I take the tablet. I've been persevering for three days and I feel like giving up as I can't sleep though the pain, it's worse than the pain I'm taking the naproxen to combat! ( inflamed shoulder tendons) I took omeprazole this morning to try to avoid the pains but they came anyway. Any advice? Shall I persevere or give up and go back to ibuprofen? I feel like a sausage about to burst!

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This happened to me mandy and I rang the doctor who increased my dose of Omeprazole from 10mgs to 20mgs. You didn't say what dose you are on but you need to be careful because your stomach lining will become irritated.
    • Posted

That's a good idea thanks - I didnt take last nights naproxen and my stomach is settling down now-but my shoulder hurts again!! I

Will ask my dr if I can up my omeprazole - I take it that did the trick for you?

• Posted

Yes it did mandy. I was so relieved because I was having a lot of pain in my joints and Naproxen was the drug that helped the most. Good luck.
  • Posted

Naproxen is known to be a medication that can cause tummy disturbances and that is why your doctor prescribed Omeprazole for you to try and combat this.

If, despite the use of the Omeprazole you are still having problems and you are certain that it is the Naproxen causing the problem, then it might be a good idea to go back to your Ibuprofen for the moment.

In the meanwhile I would advise you to return to your doctor and make him/her aware of the problem.

• Posted

Enteric Aspirin and enteric Ibuprofen are coated so as to avoid causing stomach problems.

Uncoated Aspirin can cause indigestion and in some cases bleeding from the lining of the stomach.

Uncoated Ibuprofen can be the cause of indigestion, and have certain other side effects and reactions. 

If you have the slightest concerns regarding the safe use of these drugs you should refer to your doctor and/or to your pharmacist BEFORE TAKING THEM.

Naproxen which is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) works by reducing hormones that cause inflamation and pain.

You should not use naproxen if you have a history of allergic reaction to aspirin or other NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).

Naproxen has been known to cause stomach irritation, and that is why it is recommended to be taken with milk and something to eat.

Proprietory (off the shelf) indigestion medications should not be taken with Naproxen as it can limit the effectiveness of this drug.

Omeprazole is used to treat stomach ulcers and to relieve heartburn and indigestion, and is usually prescribed to relieve the associated problems that can result from taking Naproxen.

IMPORTANT. If you have any doubts or queries concerning any of these medications, or if you suffer any adverse reaction to them, it is important that you should refer these to your doctor.

• Posted

Once you have irritated your stomach lining enough, then you really need to lay off the Naproxen and get it healed. Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor and works by switching off too much acid production.  This will help with your symptoms, but you need to take it regularly.  Although the end result is less acid production, Omeprazole is not the same as an antacid and won't work in the same immediate short-term way. 

Also, if the pain is that severe, you might be getting a stomach ulcer possibly.  Maybe make sure you have something like milk or yoghurt to line your stomach and never take Naproxen without making sure you have food with it.

In case you don't know, and also because Archemedes posted something about Ibuprofen, Ibuprofen and Aspirin also irritate stomachs in similar ways, so always eat something substantial enough with them too.

Best of luck smile

• Posted

Oh btw, have you  considered a short course of Diazepam.  I find it usually does the trick to get you to relax the muscles successfully.  Your doctor will probably onlly want  to prescribe you a few days max, but that should do it.

• Posted

Sorry to intrude with another question but is it normal that I only started taking naproxin yesterday afternoon and its giving me the exact same problems and making me feel really cold?

What is omeprazole? Is it like cocodamol as thats also what my doctor gave me with the neproxen?

• Posted

Hello lyndsey. Omeprazole is prescribed along with Naproxen to protect you stomach whilst you are taking Naproxen. I take Omeprazole first thing on a morning and then take the Naproxen with my breakfast because you should always take it with food. So Omeprazole isn't a pain killer so make sure you take it.
    • Posted

Thank you for getting back to me. I didn't get any omepra
    • Posted

I was prescribed naproxen but my doctor didn't give me omeprazole with it.

I have had omeprazole in the past but it made me feel dizzy and yuk so I stopped taking it sad

• Posted

My GP prescribed naproxen but not omeprazole aswell, I don't take it everyday but when I do it gives me awful heart burn 😢

• Posted

I also take naproxen for 6 mo.now for joint pain lately I been getting severe stomach cramps, lower back pressure, chills and just a dreadful sick feeling after taking one and last night the gassy feeling was so strong and cramps I couldn't sleep. Nothing was given to me along with naproxen so could this be from the medication?
    • Posted

Yes fairly likely since the naproxen has probably irritated your stomach lining by now.  When you say 'cramps', did you get any sharp pain?  If so, you may even have an ulcer.

Milk or yoghurt may help line your stomach (provided you are not lactose intolerant ofc) and give you a bit of relief, but you should speak to your GP as soon as you can, as they will probably advise you to stop the naproxen and allow your body to heal itself.  (Do speak to your GP though!)

You need to take naproxen with food always, and you should definiitely ask your GP for a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole to prevent future problems.

Best of luck!

• Posted

I will call her Monday. Yes it was painful double over and lay in bed moaning..that was yesterday all day...I did not take my naproxen last night and woke feeling so much better no pill this morning either. I do remember without naproxen I could barely move the joint pain was so bad...Thanks for the help. Have a good sunday.
    • Posted

I was prescribed naproxen for neck pain by my GP not nothing with it to help with the heartburn, I'd rather have the neck pain than this awful heart burn, I'm hoping as I haven't taken one today that I'll feel better by the morning x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.