Nasal Polyp Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion
DenB

I have joined this page in order to put the minds of potential patients of this operation at rest. I have suffered from nasal polyps for years and years and was always too scared to have the operation. However last month I decided enough was enough and went for it! I had expected to come round after the operation (which lasted an hour and 15 minutes) with a swollen face, black eyes and pain in my nose - that just seemed logical to me given the invasive nature of the operation. I had also been told by someone who had had the operation that the nose packing was the worse part (and having it removed). However, I had been advised by my surgeon that he no longer packed the nose after this operation, so I knew I didn't have that to look forward to. After I came round (and since) I felt no discomfort; I had very little bleeding; no swelling; no bruising. The only thing that took time to recover from was the anaesthetic! If anyone is frightened of having this operation - don't be, go ahead and have it done. I can now taste (something I haven't been able to do in years) and I can smell the coffee!!! I know experiences can vary from person to person but had I known what what I know now, I would have had the operation years ago.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Stingray

Posted

Hi My husband has got them in both side of his nose the left hand side is the worse nearly coming out also look sore, 5 months ago he under went an aortic valve replacement operation at the pre op they found a shadow on his right lung, after scans they said it was cancer, They had to do the heart op first that was on the 30th sept 2011, on the 2nd Nov 2011 they took the middle lobe of his right lung away so far the cancer has been clear, when doing the operation they cut a nerve he been suffering a lot of pain ( Can't seem to get the medication right for him) now on top of all this the polyps are down I have been told like you said that they pack them, fell so sorry for him after all he has been though, but you have given me a little ray of sunshine, he don't like anyone to see him Stingray

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New Discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.