nasty fall

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all I've not been on here for a while had my PKR back in January doing really well and today took a really nasty fall...The brunt of it on the knee replaced knee....It is huge..cut along the scar and I can't bend it. Have resorted back to using a crutch. Should I be worried or is it just that my knee would have done just the same without having an implant in it...feel like I've gone backwards and am really upset...Thanks for any advice in advance

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Not happened to me, although it is my biggest fear. Can see that no-one has yet replied so just wanted you to know that I hope, after resting for a while, you're ok. It will have shaken you up with or without knee replacement but in your mind you'll be worrying about any damage you may have done. If in any doubt speak to A & E /GP, if only to put your mind at rest. Keep forum posted as to how things progress for you. All the best. 
  • Posted

I have had a few falls onto my knee, but my biggest fear is dislocating my hip, any way, I've never done any damage to my replaced knee. However this is not to say you haven't. If it doesn't feel better  with rest ice elevation,then I'd pop along  to ER and get a check xray. Good luck..
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that...it must have been quite a shock, and a disappointment.  I would see how you feel and get it checked out if you are worried.  Watch the scar, too, so it doesn't get infected.

Wishing you all the best.

Patsy

• Posted

Thanks ladies it's horrible going back to that teary feeling and taking painkillers...and yes will see how it is in the morning I also emailed my consultant just to hear his view so fingers crossed it will all be ok
  • Posted

What a nightmare for you but please go and get it checked to make sure. No one will mind you getting it checked may be x rayed.  Sure it I'll be ok though . Let us know how it is tomorrow. Take care. Jackie 
  • Posted

Start icing if you havent already. Give it a day of rest and that means real rest. Drink lots of fluids. If it doesnt start going down in a couple of days a dr appointment would be in order. I fell last nov landing on a hardwood floor. No damage to the prothesis but eventually caused a reoccurance of a staph infection which wound up causing much grief. However; my problem was due to soft tissue not joint. Thats a lot of trauma so it will take some time for it to heal. Remember.....REST....REST....REST as in stay off the leg as much as possible
  • Posted

Thanks oldfatguy...will Def be resting have woken up so stiff and sore that I will be doing nothing today...Thank you for your usual good advice..hope you are keeping well
    • Posted

Thanks....recovery continues slowly as i knew it would. Really only started the high level PT a couple of weks ago. After the 2 surgeries in 4 months and the leg being immobilzed most of that period plus several weeks after the 2nd one i knewcit would be weak but couldnt fathom just how weak. I am havingvto get strength i, the leg plus hip and lower back. Some of the excercises require equipment that you dont have laying around the house so you can only work on those in the gym on PT appointments a couple of times a week. Im walking a lot and today spent part of the day helping my youngest work on a project for her kids play area. I was on my feet quite awhile using power tools but not feeling the effects negatively yet. My phone fried this week which put me in a panic mode. Lost everything so going through ther hassle of refilling my. Phone/address book. Fortunately i was able to migrate the contact list from my b laptop but had to manually enrer phone #'s. Dont want to go yhrough that again.need tranqulizers not pain pills for that. Hope the last few hours have started showing positive effects for you in the healing and pain relief process. Unfortunately, an accident like that can wreck you as much emotionally as it does Physically. Then you find yourself reliving the fall all hours day and night. I still see myself in that scenario of starting to pass out and the feeling of that hardwood floor making contact with my knees and forehead, then the blood pouring out of my head and having to lay in it till th ambulance arrive. Falling is such a quick, helpless action anyway but we relive the falls over and over in slow motion. My wife has fallen twice in the last 2 weeks due to her parkinsons disease. I know that its started to the really bother her as a couple of days ago she mentioned getting a medical alert unit. Like i told her, there comes a point I'm life you have to let go of pride and let common sense be your guide. If she will wear it, well get it but i dont want to dependcon her using it and finding itvon the night stand wgen shes in the kitchen.
  • Posted

The scarring will be stopping you bending your knee.  Think about how painful and stiff it would be if you had nothing wrong with your knee and you fell over.  You just have to do gentle massaging and bending.  Come off the crutches otherwise you will go backwards. Do the RICE technique (rest, ice, compression and elevation) for a couple days, if you really, really have too.  By not bending, your scar will thicken and you will be worse off.  I have had total knee replacements and so far I have fallen out of a tree, fallen off my bike (admittedly into bushes) and tripped down stairs.  Absolute agony, BUT, the joint itself has remained stable.  That is what you have to think about first and foremost.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.