Nausea on mirtazapine/

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i have been taking 15mg mirt for 8 weeks now. I have pins and needles and numbness in my face head pressure and migraines, For the past two weeks i have really bad constant nausea and retching every morning. I am only taking mirt and wondered if anyone else has had this.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Although I haven't suffered with nausea or headaches they are  a common side effect of mirt. Have you seen your GP since starting on them, the reason I ask I like you  have only been on mirtazepine for 8 weeks, he reviewed me after 4 weeks before issuing a further prescription I am having different side effects (swelling to feet and ankles) which he hoped will have settled.  have to see him again after a further 4 weeks. I like you still suffer some unpleasant side effects to do with muscle fatigue and joint pain along with the swelling. I would advise you document all the side effects and talk to your Gp. I am back there next week.

• Posted

Hi Diane, thanks for replying. I am in a very awkward situation, i am virtually bedridden with a long term illness. After a month on the mirt i had a phone call from gp i told him i was numb in face and tingling and vibrating inside my body etc he said to increase to 30 and call him in a month. However i have not dared to increase as i feel so poorly i am scared i get worse. He wont change the mirt as i have tried all others over the last 17 years, so i am in a catch 22 situation.
    • Posted

Forgot to say, the nausea has only started 4 weeks ago.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you are almost bedridden i can appreciate your situation is much more problematic as I feel having a face to face contact with GP is more beneficial than a telephone consultation. Can you not ask for a home visit. I'm not sure but I think I have read on this site increasing the dose has heloed someone with the side effects. I must admit I find that difficult to understand. 

You do need to speak to GP explaining your fear to increase the dose because of side effects.. Good luck 

• Posted

Hello Carole,

I'm so sorry to hear of your suffering. Why on earth if you are having these side effects would your GP ask you to increase your meds. This is your bodies way of telling you that this med doesn NOT agree with your body. We are not just alking a mild head ache or stomach ache here. These are serious side effects that should be reported and the med STOPPED.

I had to learn the hard way to not let my doctor talk me into taking anything that made me feel sick. Muscle and nerve damage. I had alot of the same side effects you are having.. numbness..pins and needles. Now I'm in rehab. You have the right to refuse to take anything that makes you sick.

Please call your GP and tell him you are taking yourself off this med. And if you chose, he can prescribe something else.

my best to you

Michele

• Posted

Thanks for your advice Michele. I should have mentioned i had a lot of the same symptoms when i was taking amitriptyline which i came off cold turkey 20mgs  after four years. My gp says i had all these symptoms before i went on mirtazapine. I am just baffled something is making my face all numb and tingly dizziness head pressure nausea etc. If its not medication i dont know i did not feel this bad with my illness.
    • Posted

Hi Michele sorry to hear you are in rehab is that due to the mirt. I have a complicated illness. In 1996 i was struck down with some mystery virus which attacked my brain and has never got better. I suffer with 24/7 constant dizziness which makes me unable to sit up. Also lots of neurological stuff. Seen many consultants over the years to no avail. Consequently i became very depressed having to live with this and over the years have tried many anti ds. Mirtazapine are a last resort for me.
    • Posted

Newer tomthis than you - wonder if it gets any better given time?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.