nearly 12months on - you WILL feel normal again x

Posted , 8 users are following.

Its almost a year since I started my journey with fluoxetine........and not for the first time.  I have had a few episodes of depression but I have learnt that each one is an individual battle.

A year ago I was scrawling these pages looking for a snippet of hope that I wouldnt feel as sh*t (to put it frankly!) as I did right then.

I hope I can offer that snippet to you if you are reading this because things really do get better.  I dont mean you will feel magically fantastic and life will be all roses but eventually you will feel...........normal.

You wont feel like this forever. You will get better. You will start to regain your life, your hope, your enthusiasm, your confidence and your wellbeing. 

I wont bore you with all the details but I have written below some key points and things I found helped at time I frankly thought I was loosing it!

- I googled things ALOT like 'when will i feel normal' 'how long does fluoxetine take to work' 'week 5 and I still feel horrendous'. Truth is that some of it helps but dont dwell or hold onto other peoples experiences. Some people feel better quickly, some dont. It took me over 3 months to start feeling anywhere near normal.

- tell people your struggling, you will be suprised at how many people have struggled too and will understand why you dont want to go out or be at work or might not be thrilling company

- even if you get zero pleasure from doing something go through the motions it fills time that might otherwise be spent going through all the negative and intrusive thoughts you may be having.

After 4months I went back to work.  At around six months I started to gain confidence that I could handle things. a year on and I feel 'normal'-and you will too.

much love x

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Thankyou for your post. Im struggling rt now. Im on day 7 at 20mg. No real bad side effects except occasional anxiety. But still not "happy" like othets put it. Im underalot of stress also rt now. But thankyou. Gives me hope!
  • Posted

Each day at a time youll get there xx
  • Posted

Thanks Snow...I am in my 6th month on 40 mg Flu. Had to laugh a little ...you sounded just like me googling on when will I feel better.....looking for hope. I am feeling better but mornings can still be tough ...tiredness in afternoon. 

My problem ...we should have such problems...I am retired ...do a little  volunteer work ...I think being slightly OCD I think about myself on Flu far too much. Think I need to think positively and more about others. Funny sometimes I don't feel like going to do something but always feel better once I get up and out !Thanks so much for sharing.

• Posted

Hi, Meeps. I'm a little OCD, too, and you sound just like me at 6 mo. I am at 11 mo. now and I am sooo much better than at 6 mo., so keep hanging in there. You will keep improving.
  • Posted

You said it sooo well, Snow. I went through it just like you described. For some people it just takes longer, but, in time you will get back to normal. I'm 11 mo. in and I think this time I will just stay on it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Posted

Taking a survey here I guess. How many take it in the morning vs night? With food or without food? Sleepy at all? Diaherra?(i dont really have that but did big time on Sertraline!!!) This is my #4 antidepressant to try. I hopeful. I can't exercise which helps me with the blues an anxiety because I fell at Wal-Mart an broke my foot at end of Nov. In black boot. Its driving me nuts an making me more blue. Couldn't work either. Walmart being aholes to. Its there fault. Also was in a car accident two wks later. Totaled our car. I was taken by ambulance to ER. Concussion an whiplash. Now we dont have a car an can't afford one rt now. So thankfully driving my parents old Lincoln until we figure out what to do. Also Im caregiver to my 80 yr old parent's. Neither drive. I do everything. Its depressing sometimes watching them get old. An my Dad is non-compliant with his med situation an causing issues with my Mom an h ed an I get into arguments. He's selfish an doesn't do anything anymore to help keep up house with my Mom. She does everything inside home what she can. It's killin her. He doesn't care. They need to go to assisted living but my Dad is MAJOR resistant an it will be a fight. My is so tired she's ready to go. Their house is very lrg with acre of land an my husband an I do alot of upkeep along with our house an we have 2 sons. Its just to much. My sister lives in another town onlt hr an half away an doesnt help much. It's draining. I had to leave town last wkend to avoid a nervous breakdown. I left by myself to a town an hr away an stayed in hotel 2 days alone crying. Like a release? Anyway sorry for the long book! Just hoping this one works. Have tried Lexapro,Sertraline an Cymbalta (horrible withdrawls with that one!) I have fibromyalgia an depression and anxiety. Goodluck to everyone!
    • Posted

im sorry you are hving issues, im in the UK and therefore cant really comment on whats available for you but you are going through a huge amount and this would be very difficult for most people to cope with.  In the UK there are support programmes for people with chronic health problems as its well known that mental health problems can go hand in hand maybe there are support groups or charities you can access-dont underestimate the power of a truly empathetic ear. Best wishes x

• Posted

Thank you so much you have given me tremendous confidance thank you I been pushing myself out of my comfort zone lately because I refuse to let anxiety and depression keep me from living life its way to short but I have noticed that the pill is working it just takes time. I love that you gave me more insight and a well pep talk thank you and I am glad your doing so good god bless.
    • Posted

Glad to hear it, i wrote down my achievements in a notebook to remind myself of how far id come and to instill confidence that I could do it.  For example the first was literally going to the supermarket! Best wishes x

• Posted

Thank you that was my first outing the market I was so proud of myself. Thank you again have a wonderful weekend.
  • Posted

I actually take Citalopram 20mg not fluoxetine 20mg but that has really cheered me up smile I've been on it since 2nd November, so about 12 weeks I suppose? And I'm just started back to work last night and getting uni assignments insmile I am absolutely not 'better' or 'normal' but I'm much more 'normal' than I used to be, and each day isn't a struggle..only some! Thanks for your encouraging post, I also kept looking up possible side effects and how long it would take etc but leaving it do its work seems to be the best option smile
  • Posted

Hi Snow

Shows you how we are all similiar creatures, I have been on them for a year. Had it for a number of years. 

I feel good now to do exactly what youve written. 

Nice to actually read some postives stories eh. 

Now just got to deceide when to ween off them. Im cofident that i have beaten it. 

I read a couple of books on Kindle about depersion which helped. Worth a read. 

I will try to find out what they were called. 

Happy new yea everyone. 

Regards 

Paul Spinks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.