Nearly 5 weeks Post TKR- Numbness

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys can I ask for some advice please? I'm nearly 5 weeks post TKR and have been very very lucky in my recovery. Now only have minimal pain and stiffness and minimal swelling. But my knee and the surrounding area is still numb. Lower part of leg seems to have most feeling back but the outer part of knee surrounding the knee cap is still numb? I seem to have a bit of feeling coming back in the scar feels almost like a burn similar to having sat in sun without suncream?

Thanks

Debs

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

All sounds normal! Mine still numb in parts at 13 weeks, mostly round outside of knee.
  • Posted

Cut nerves try to grow back together. Skin cut nerves,like in a tkr, are only roughly put back together in sewing. Pure luck if they reattach, but they will try. JUST was researching this earlier today! My doc said 2yrs, one person was 5, FIVE, years but it happened do nevrr give up hope!

Nerves look like cables in cables. So u have a bunch in a sheath and bunches like that one in a bigger sheath. Pretty amazing they try to reach out to reattach. If the cant, they die sad

Once again, patience, patience, patience. ..aargh!

• Posted

Hi Debs

I mentioned this to my consultant at my 6 week review and he told me that this is the nerves waking up and the area you are talking about will gradually reduce my physio massages this area every time I go to see him don't know whether it does any good but certainly has helped me I know everyone says patience is the key to recover I am 13 weeks post op now and have totally accepted that this is definitely the case

• Posted

Sounds normal to me ... I'm almost 19 weeks post op and still have numbness. My consultant said feeling may never come back.

• Posted

Thanks Ali, parts of it have come back it's not as much as it was it's not the end of the world though I need to be thankful I'm free if arthritic pain and have had an amazing recovery so far

• Posted

Hi Debs. Glad your recovery is going well. I have numbness, too, on the right side of my scar. In fact, if you Google it, you will find that it is common to have a numb area at the scar. (even on the right side). My doctor said that in a year, much, or all of it can go away, but sometimes there can remain a little spot of numbness.
  • Posted

Hi Debs!

I'm nearly two YEARS post surgery and continue to gain more feeling in the skin areas of my surgery. Generally I will begin to feel a kind of tingle which often becomes a kind of PING sensation. Sometimes the side of my leg will have a burning sensation. A few weeks after THOSE things happen I will notice that the area starts to feel more normal. It is strange how it works, but nerves ARE strange little buggers!

My scars were tender for nearly a year. I wore VERY SOFT yoga pants. Jeans were out of the question that first year due to the rougher fabric. I just went with it. Patience is best when recovering from ANY surgery!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl nice to hear from you. I think I've been really really lucky I wore a pair of jeans today and walked 1.8 miles unaided! I do get a funny kind of burning sensation on parts of my knee surrounding the scar but nothing that bothers me. Bits of the numbness have faded so think over time the feeling may come back. It's a weird sensation in the bath though!

• Posted

Hi nice to hear from you too

I cannot believe it has been 3 months yesterday from surgery my poor husband has been such a support but we have been out tonight for dinner and he and friends have said I look ten years younger I'm only 51 so goodness knows how I looked preop even though I am still recovering I can admit for the first time since my surgery I feel a bit like my old self ask me tomorrow might be different xx

Looking forward to my holiday next Saturday bit anxious about airport and flying but need to go on with life

• Posted

Sorry meant to say how fantastic how you have done walking that far already
    • Posted

Great to hear, I am 13 weeks, and its a good place to be...!
    • Posted

You're doing GREAT!😄Sure feels good, doesn't it when you can do normal things in normal ways again!

Yes, I know that burning sensation! I take showers not baths, so I don't notice too much sensation during them, but it DID take awhile to get brave enough to shave my legs OVER THE SCAR AREAS!😬😰😱 Now I hardly even think about it.

Keep up the great progress!😄

• Posted

The "feelings" around the incision site are the nerves regenerating.  At 15 months I only feel that now when I kneel on the knee.  A bit annoying but I'm hoping it will go away in time...no guarantees.  The numbness is also part of the nerve issue and will go away (or not) in time.  Nerve regeneration is tricky and may or may not happen...all very individual.  I'd be prepared for a bit of long-term numbness and/or tingling.  Just like the "clunking" sounds, a small price to pay for walking again with no pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.