Nearly 7 weeks post op

Posted , 9 users are following.

Obviously I am a lot better than when I posted at 5 weeks but still feel I should be further on...

i have a good bend but problems straightening my leg, therefore limping badly at mo.

i am doing all my exercises and having Physio. 

I am on 1 stick but my knee is still painful and can't stay on my feet for long periods.

i am trying to do gardening because I have a high one and lots to do, but am getting so frustrated that I can't do what I want.

i have cut down on most of my painkillers, ok at night.

Anyone any suggestions....xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I suggest you take it easy and let your body heal. You are doing what your mind says but your body is telling you different. Be patient. 
  • Posted

Hi Sue

I had probs with straightening both of my TKRs some weeks after the Ops...so I would concentrate on that rather than the bend...as it's difficult to walk if you can't straighten.  I ended up having a manipulation on both...but my last one hasn't straighten it unfortunately.

hope you get on well.

Patsy

1st TKR Dec 2012. 2nd TKR Sept 2014

• Posted

I would discuss the activity level with the surgeon. Overdoing can be detrimental to a complete recovery just as much as not continuing excercise. Problems with gardening ate uneven surfaces, lack of balance when. Using various tools an some of the painful repetitive motions such as raking and digging. Many surgeons, mine included, prohibit kneeling and twisting movements. I know how much anguish there is in not being able to pursue something you really enjoy but maybe a year off or at least see reduction would be best. I had big plans for redoing two flower beds this year and the best I can do is have one of my kids just put in some ground cover of sorts that will take care of its self and hope next year will be better
  • Posted

No heavy gardening or housework for 12 weeks was recommended to me which suits me fine. I too can't stand or sit for very long as my foot goes dead
  • Posted

It just takes time. Follow PT person's advice. This is long and slow.
  • Posted

As well as getting advice, I would just take a brief moment to read over what you have posted....you say your knee is painfull and then you say you have cut your painkillers.  Why? It can feel like progress to cut the pills, but being in pain limits what you can do in terms of both the exercises and getting back to enjoyable activities and it makes you feel exhausted and affects your mood- so maybe cut yourself a bit more slack with pills? The gardening thing is so annoying at this time of year isn't it? Bloody nature just won't slow down while our knees heal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.