Nearly 9 weeks and feel like I'm moving on in leaps and bounds!

Posted , 4 users are following.

At long last I'm driving again! Can't believe that I can finally wear a pair of fairly normal lace-up shoes (Rieker Remonte). The funny thing is that, even with a slightly swollen left foot, the shoe fits more comfortably than pre-op. Can I get used to a relatively narrow foot?! Feel so much better for regaining independence and getting out again when I want. Coming out of this with far more empathy for the permanently housebound.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can't wait to be walking again never mind driving thanks for giving me light at the end of the tunnel ha I can't wait to see my foot just another for bandage to be changed , I'm struggling walking in the shoe provided how did you manage with it for so long it hurts my back and legs when I walk with the size of the heel .
    • Posted

Oh the joy of having bandage changed! smile and eventually having bandage removed. You'll get there! I had a flat shoe to start with and found it was really hard work walking as there was so much padding under the foot, so I asked for a heel-walking shoe (brick!). Hard work with that too - I eventually realised it was better to think of it as an aid to getting about a bit rather than a walking shoe, if that makes sense. It's surprising how quickly you can get walking again, albeit for short distances, once those bandages are off so don't despair. With hindsight, I'd have tried harder to keep the rest of my body more flexible which might help with back and legs. There are some good seated exercise sequences on Rosemary Conley TV (they were the first to come up when I googled armchair exercise).
  • Posted

I am 9 weeks post surgery and haven't ventured to driving yet. Had a new experience of getting my local bus today. Shocking really since I have lived here for 16 years! Just shows how you get used to using your car! I think that I feel that I am almost ready to take the car around the block. However, one of my feet has been a little achey this week and I have put off driving because I have read that driving can make your foot ache at first. As I have a coupes of Christmas functions this wee, I am putting it off. How did you find it?
    • Posted

Hi Karen. Oops, I meant to reply before now. Re driving, surgery was on my left foot so I sat in the car while it was parked and had quite a few goes in quick succession pushing the clutch down fast as you would in an emergency stop. I was fine with that so was happy to start driving again. I've only driven for about 20 minutes maximum so far and my foot is generally fine with that. Still getting an achey ankle which limits me more than my foot. Getting there, though. Hope you managed your Christmas dos successfully.

• Posted

Thanks for this. Yes, Christmas dos were great, thanks. Mind you, choosing what I could wear was a major headache! Rang the hospital who said that I could wear any flat shoe as long as they were comfortable. Bought some lovely EEE fit shoes in a size bigger which were very pretty with bits of glitter and a bow. Thought that they would be fine but when tried them on against home they lay just on the scars so couldn't wear them. Gutted. Decided to be practical and bought some EEE fitting flat black chunky boots so the nice dress that I has bought couldn't be worn either! Trousers for all events this year! Having read that you had been out driving at about 9 weeks it gave me the confidence to have a go. Took the car out for a very short drive on Sunday and it was fine. Have done a couple of very short drives since.

Interesting that you said that you have a sore ankle. The outside of one of my feet and my ankle have been very sore this week also. As well as my lower back I. The opposite side. Thought that it might be to do with the fact that my big toe and the one next to it (hammer toe correction) are not yet flat in the floor. This means that I am putting my weight onto the wrong part of my foot( and there is extra weight following not having done much!). I have tried orthaheels today and back doesn't feel quite so bad (did check with the consultant about this first!). Foot and ankle achey though. Just going to fill a bowl of water and have a good soak!

Keep up the good work and hopefully you will have made further progress by Chriatmas

• Posted

I agree with your statement about about empathy for housebound.  I felt the same, I am aboub12 weeks now.  Been shopping today though and I must admit both feet are aching tonight.😳

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.