Need a message of hope, perimenopause anxiety

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello wonderful ladies. .. I have been going thru perimenopause symptoms for past 6 months... many to list, but the worst symptoms are anxiety, panic attacks which flared up my TMJ symptoms, tension headache and constant ear pressure. It's been a hell, I am taking low dose birth control but not helping much, periods are very light and lasts 2 days, I'm 39. Does it get better, do you ever feel your normal self again? Please share your experience and any tips/advice. Thank you all.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry you are going through the anxiety part of peri. Have you tried Rescue Remedy? It was the only thing that helped mine. I wish I had found it sooner.
    • Posted

Rescue Remedy? Is that a supplement? Thank you I will look into it. smile
  • Posted

Im am sorry to hear this. I have been peri for 7 years and it is awful but those symptoms probably will pass and others will take their place. I tried low dose birth control myself and it made me feel worse. The only thing that I have found that helps is diet. cutting out processed foods and eating healthier which is really hard when bad moods make you want to eat ice cream and chips. but I stuck to it. Its easier in the summer and now I am managing ok except around the time of my periods. Mine were very light for a long time too and now they are so heavy and come with labor like pains. Never know when they will come either. Its not a fun journey. I really hope yours levels out soon. 
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience Kimberly. Yeah I have cut down caffeine, improved my diet and trying to get a routine exercise done. Hopefully it'll all be behind us soon smile

• Posted

I went through that at 41 complete insanity 

And leveled out after many months but the panic anxiety I had to learn to live with. 

Now I’m going through it all again at 52 trying to get through it best I can .

• Posted

I'm sorry Lori you're going through it all again, hopefully it'll level out soon. Were you on any HRT? Good luck smile

• Posted

Yes started on creams did nothing then combo patch then estrogen patch then back to creams now back on estrogen patch .

Apparently the progesterone made me down ? But I’m depressed anyway so ..... it’s all a NIGHTMARE and a BIG ROLLERCOASTER. 

• Posted

Im also sorry you are going through it too. I had bad anxiety that started at 40 and didn't settle until I turned 46, that was 10 months ago. I still get anxiety flare ups but not as bad as it was before. I tried many different things, natural things, a short round of anti depressants, every supplement anyone would suggest, followed a very healthy diet and lots and lots of excercise. Really I'd say the only things that helped was I completely stopped any caffine and the excercise ( yoga helped a lot) but even then it was rough. I think a lot of mine was adrenaline rushes and the longer I went through it I clued into that...believe me I know how horrible it is. I think I had it for longer than a lot of woman, I truly hope yours passes through quicker.

• Posted

Hi dramisha

I understand. The anxiety has always been the worst part for me, it can be debilitating. I have had that for a very long time, as I've always had hormone and thyroid issues. What helps me is as follows:

1. Bhrt (utrogestan, sandrena, tostran)

2. Over the counter kalms for day and night

3. Mindful meditation (I use Headspace app every day if possible

4. Yoga once a week

5. I've changed my diet so no more processed foods

6. Exercise. I can't say enough about the difference this has made. Anything cardio seems to work the best. I run 3 times a week and try to walk each morning

7. Fresh air.... Even if you don't feel you can, shove yourself out the door and breathe

8. Reach out wherever you can, to anyone supportive whether that's family, support group, forum, doctor, anyone

9. I have acupressure once a week

10. I have just started hypnosis which does seem to help

11. If my meds dont suit, don't work, don't agree with me I head back to the GP. I don't care if I'm whinging!

Even with this list, it's still hard - there's no easy way. It is manageable and I find that these things go someway to help or at least distract me. I hope this helps, but stay positive, there is hope. I've been in this particular boat since I was 16. You will get through it... You may just have to change things up to be able to accept it. ? Xx

• Posted

That’s a fabulous post Sassy ! All we can do is the best we can do . It’s all a chore but we do it and keep ploughing on! 

Something good has to come for those who never give up !

Better days for all the lovely ladies on here x

• Posted

Lovely post Sass. Thank you for taking the time to share. Please God we will all come out the other side of this. Xo. CK
  • Posted

Dramisha,

I experience all of this and more.  The anxiety and panic are the worst.  Tried Bio identical hormones, AD’s, Anti anxiety, natural supplements and more to no avail.  Do you get a strange head  pressure at times that makes you feel super anxious?  I get these what I call “head spells” on a daily basis just about.  I also have dizzy/ balance problems.   I am 56.  I started out peri menopause at age 48.  About 2 1/2 years ago, the dizzy/ balance spells started along with the head spells.  I had a doctor tell me I’m getting silent migraines.   I find that, eating well, exercise, and getting enough sleep and stress reduction is the best to help the symptoms.  Also, a good network of friends to talk to about it helps a lot too.  Good luck!  Nettie 

• Posted

Hi nestie....this is me right now. Im 48 just and ive been throught a bad time with all the symptoms but they have lessoned now but i get the headaches now....one lasted for 3 days like a pressure pain that came and went....but little dull aches in my head throughout the day. Id say a lot has to do with tiredness as when im tired they come on.....its the constant self diagnosis and worry can be the worst at times....but over all, im feeling better and preparing to move house and job and relocate to 120 miles away...its all go right now....many blessings there. CK
    • Posted

Thank you, Carol!  I appreciate your response.  Good luck on your new home and job!
  • Posted

Have you tried OTC sinus meds for tension headaches and ear pressure?  It could help as I have had sinus issues this last month related to those headaches.  I don't have TMJ but sleep with a night guard-- could that help with TMJ?  I also take spirulina every day and it seems to help with anxiety-- you might want to look into it.  If I feel extra anxious about something I take a 'rescue remedy' lozenges.  Otherwise, I just try to take it day by day being kind to myself.  Hopefully it will pass!!

• Posted

Thank you, Kelly!  I appreciate your response.  I do wear a night guard for clenching and grinding and it has helped a lot.  I have not tried OTC sinus meds.  That’s a good thought though.  And I will look into the Spirulina.  Again, thank you!  Nettie
    • Posted

Hi Kelly...what is otc sinus meds? Do you live in the US? Im in the UK. Cheers. CK
    • Posted

I'm in the US and  by over the counter sinus meds at the store. It usually says headache or head pressure or something like that.  They work for me and then at times when its really bad I will take IB Profens too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.