Need a text to speech software

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, i lost 80% of my eyelight but i love to read. My son told me that there is a software that transfer the text to speech. i research already in google but i found only expensive ones. any advice?

thank u in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

Report Reply

4 Replies

• Posted

Most of my blind friends say that Jaws (by Freedom Scientific) is the best software available. Yes, it is expensive but in our country some blind people can get some support from nation-wide society of the blind to buy the license.

There is also good free software called NVDA, but it is far from the functions and quality of Jaws.

Jaws is also somewhat complex - you can define multiple rules for every key combination and I know that some blind people spend hours and days creating their own custom profiles for their specific workflows.

I have experience with many blind and legally blind people and I myself have about 50% of vision since birth, but I'm an avid reader and also working as a software programmer for 10 years already. Lately I became a fan of audiobooks. Amazon Audible service is one of the best. It can get get pricey and not be that useful if you are not an avid reader, though.

Take care.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hello,

thanks for your advices. I cant find the prices on the website of jaws. That is mostly time a sign that it is very expensive. 😃 My browser dont like https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-free-text-to-speech-software but i managed it to download 2 of them. I also try http://www.ttssoft.org/text-to-speech-software/.

Maybe someone know the price of jaws?

The prices from the other softwares are ok but im not very happy with the metallic voice. Im still happy for any advice.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New Discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.