Need advice..

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I think I've had silent reflux for a least 4 years syptoms would range from coughing, losing voice, choking, asthma syptoms, constant throat clearing... Any way the doctor finally sent me for ph testing after the first lot of tests I paniced and could not go through with the 24 hr testing, now the doctors are sending me to have the bravo capsule and I'm terrified.. Has anyone had this done before, I think im just looking for reassurance the doctor didn't seem to really have a clue and just told me to look online. 

Thanks x

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had silent reflux for 18 years, haven't experience most of your symptoms, no coughing, no chocking, no ashma, no throat clearing. Hoarse voice is the only one I can relate to.
  • Posted

What is the ph testing.
    • Posted

Hi, ph testing is where they test the acid levels that go into your esophagus.. It can be 24, 48 hrs.. 
    • Posted

I was sent for bloods by the gastroenteritis and they discovered I had hypothyroidism but I don't think anything else came back wrong with my bloods.. He sent me for an array of tests. 
  • Posted

Hi i have a reflux many years, and i dont have any of your symptons, i do get alot of pain in my upper stomach, and acid comes up into my throat, Have you ever suffered with panic attacks?
    • Posted

Hi, no I've never had panic attacks, I do get a burning in my chest which I presume is heart burn.. 
    • Posted

Who said anything about panic attacks?
    • Posted

... I meant I don't think psycholgical factors have any relation to stomach issues.
  • Posted

no the only reason i mentioned panic attacks, was i suffered with them years ago and a few of your symptons reminded me of them, but a reflux is a strange thing, it affects every one different, mine was just terrible pain under the tib cage to begin with, hopefully you get it sorted.smile
  • Posted

I had the 24 hour test done before my nissen fundoplication surgery in 2013.  It was not bad at all.  The Dr. quickly attached a camera on my esophagus and I had to carry the info case with me at all times. He did it so fast, I did not realize it was done.  I had to write down date and time and what I ate for the 24 hours.  
    • Posted

Thanks, I'm so worried about it, it's good to hear from people that have had it and that it's not a bad thing.. 
  • Posted

Hi there,

I had some of your symptoms (chronic cough, feeling of a lump in my throat ), but when had my endoscopy done there was no traces of acid reflux So decided that it might be silent reflux.

The only way to fight it is change your diet to let your body heal. The best book on this topic is Dropping Acid as for me. According to my through research vit d and B complex are very important in order to heal your mucous membranes due to constant acid damage.

Hope this helped.

• Posted

Oh yes I've seen the book advitised, I have changed a lot of things in my diet and just started taking vit b and d.. I might get the book and have a look. Thanks..
  • Posted

I had the bravo monitoring done last year and it was a breeze. I had an endscopy with sedation. During that procedure the device was left inside and I knew nothing about it. I was given a wireless monitor to carry around for 2 days.

I have also had ph monitoring done where they put a tube down your nose. Its not very pleasant but I can think of a lot worse things.

• Posted

thanks im such a wimp and hated the first lot of tests and had started to get a bit panicky about having to do the bravo I just had to hear from someone else and hope they had a easy time with it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.