Need advice on taking airplane flight with a Suprapubic Catheter. Trans Atlantic flight from NYC

Posted , 3 users are following.

I plan to travel Trans Atlantic from NYC to Oslo.  Any advice on traveling long airline flights with a catheter.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

A Foley with a bag or self cathing?

Jim

• Posted

I am having the Suprapubic catherer implanted. It’s drains into a bag, same as the Foley.   
    • Posted

I guess I should have read the title more carefully! Anyway, I would get a doctor's note explaining what's going on, not only explaining the setup but the fact that you may need certain liquids for antiseptic reasons, etc. Also, I would carry on -- not check in -- any supplies you may need when you land, in case you get separated from your luggage. 

Jim

• Posted

You might also want to review the carry on liquid restritions  and bring with you a couple of small containers for transfer in case they make you check in some of the liquids. 
  • Posted

Hi Yoshiro!

I wore a regular Foley for one week when my BPH-related problems arose three+ years ago; I have flown trans-Atlantic numerous times since I started to self-cath.  I don't have the bag, but I would do the following:  I would empty at the airport, after check-in but BEFORE you reach Security. You're not allowed the carry on large quantities of liquids!  :-)

When you get to Security, tell the nearest TSA officer that you are wearing a bag, and ask how they want to proceed.  They may require a separate screening, they may just send you through the scanner like every one else.

The flight is about 8 hours.  You don't want to drink less while flying (that dehydration thing), so allow that you'll need to do one emptying (maybe) en route.  Depending how your body processes liquid, you may need to empty the bag onboard, and  plan to adapt to the small space of the WC.

Bon voyage!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.