Need advice on talking to niece on starting her period

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I have a 14 year old niece that I am taking caring for. We are very open about everything. I don't have any adult females in my life at the moment . I have lots of questions about her starting her period. what does she need to know about tampons, pads, school and so much more. Please feel free to IM me if you like.

Thank you

James

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Normally this is first covered in school. Best to refer to an adult female who is friendly / known to her that she can talk to and feel comfortable with given your lack of knowledge.

AFAIK there isn't anything you need to know. Your niece can let you know what she needs or you can give her money to get it herself if your niece would prefer.

What exact questions do you have?

• Posted

She doesn't feel comfortable with strangers that's why I am asking. She feels fine talking to me so that's not a issue. I will ask her what questions she has so we can discuss it together. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.