need advice please

Posted , 9 users are following.

I broke my leg and dislocated my ankle 7 weeks ago I had in it cast for 6 weeks and they told me I can now put a little weight on it then in 4 weeks I can try to put all weight on it but my foot and leg is still so swollen I cant put my foot flat on the floor or move it alot either is this normal im abit worried as I cant bare any weight on it as I cant put it down or move it alot ? Thank you x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi jodie, your leg will be swollen for quite a while still. You also won't be able to put your foot flat on the floor. When you try walking, even if it is partial weight, try doing it barefoot and try on different types of surfaces, this helps getting the foot flat and the feeling. Are you in a boot or only on crunches? Have you been sent for physiotherapy? It is important to get your mobility back. Has your surgeon given you any other advice. Find out from your surgeon what you are allowed to do. If you can go to a physiotherapist and get exercises to do at home. Massage is also important. Find out asap. as it is a long process and getting foot and ankle mobile is important. Try lying with your leg elevated to help with the swelling. Please keep us posted.
  • Posted

Are you in a boot yet Jodie or still in a cast?

I had cast 6 weeks, now in a boot & told to PWB for a week then try walking barefoot full weight bearing to see how foot/ankle responds. Am not wearing boot much unless walking with it & no longer sleeping in it. Trusting my instincts as to how & when I walk on it properly with full weight.

Am using a walker frame no matter what until calf muscles get stronger again.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your replies Iv got physio tomorrow so I'm hoping they help iv been giving a boot but been told to only use when walking but I don't get on with it.. I have tried once to bare a little weight without the boot but I get a weird tingling feeling down the back of my leg and I'm scared incase it breaks again or something happens.. I have crutches used to use the frame at first though.. my consultant wasn't very helpful just said little weight for 4 weeks then can bare full weight and I had to ask for the boot which is when he told me to wear when walking but he never gave me any excersises or anything xx
    • Posted

Hi, when you go for Pysio tomorrow ask them to show you how to walk partial weight bearing with crutches, I found crutches much easier than a walking frame. Also ask them to give you exercises you can do at home . When you are ready to walk full weight bearing, first go onto one crutch until you are comfortable to try without crutches. Your physiotherapists should also help you with this. The tingling feeling in you're leg is normal and when you put full weight onto it, it may feel worse for a while. It is the muscles etc. that have not been used for a while. Also massage your leg from your toes up and around, helps with circulation. Did you have surgery, because if you did massage helps break down scar tissue. Don't be afraid to ask the physiotherapists questions, they are there to help you with your recovery. It is a long process so be patient and do what they say. Remember to keep the leg elevated to help with the swelling. Let us know what the physiotherapists say. I also go for physio tomorrow. Good luck.
    • Posted

Snap I had same. Bottom of foot rounded and swollen is all too familiar. Its going to take sometime. Its also scary. Little and often my Physio said. I wore my moon boot 24/7 for months.

Physio got me used to sensation of putting it down for a week. There were tears a plenty. Still are. And nightmares.

Once I got thorough the first battle I learnt to flex my foot with the help of a soft towel.

Then with boot on and crutches, partial weight baring on scales . 1_stone or 5-7 kgs at a time. Again patience required regularly. Need a hobby or 2 also.

My bone didn't heal unfortunately and after 4 months I needed a bone graft and plates. In my 35th week now.

Rest, ice, compression and elevation = R.I.C.R very important.

What I've learned is putting it down, gentle flexing and then moving towards weight baring, even tho mine didn't heal, was important. It didn't damage it, just increased blood flow to area and reduced stiffness which made it easier after my op. 4 months after my op my broken leg is fairing well. Not full weight baring yet but close. Its a badly swollen other leg in. Knee area with a bakers cyst that's the problem.

Good luck!

Trust your Physio. ©[°∆°]®

• Posted

Thank you so much I can't stand the boot I don't wear it unless I'm going out they told me at first that I wouldn't be able to walk for 4-5 months but when I went back last week 6 weeks after my op they told me the bone had heeled and I can walk properly in 4 weeks I think 8m just scared as I'm not the skinniest and I'm worried to put even a bit of weight on it. I do move it around as much as I can which isn't a lot at all really my toes right up to my knee is swollen badly still too. How are you finding it with it being that long and your still not back to how you was before I think il go crazy x
    • Posted

I've gained weight due to a dramatically lowered metabolism. Because of my Bakers cyst I can't go on my exercycle.

I go nuts on a regular basis. It passes. My husband has a broken scaphoid that he did 7 months ago. He too has had surgery but his strength and flexibility are limited.

Sometimes its a day at a time. Sometimes a minute. Haha.

Keep icing regularly and putting compression bandage on and elevating almost all of the time.

Well keep in touch. This site is great for support. I'm having a down day today so far.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Oh that must be stressfull my partner sprained her leg and that was enough so I dread to think how u both feel. Iv put myself on a diet not excersising but am just eating better I'm hoping with me loosing weight will be better for my ankle..I get more down on days when it's hot and nice as I'm stuck in and limited what i can do I will try the ice and Il have to get a compression bandage.. yes I also agree it's very good for surport it's nice to have someone to talk to about it and that I will keep u informed and stay in touch thank you I hope your day gets better xx
  • Posted

Hi Jodie 

i had a triple ahtodeisis last July non weight bearing for three months. Got cast of October and had boot on till first week in January only then could I bear weight on it properly still needed physo to strengthen muscles ect gradually get better by the day now 11months since op almost there can walk on it now most of the day . Because you need to walk on it it takes a long time to recover think of about six months and if it's sooner then that's a bonus . When you can bear weight on it that when to get exercises from physo . Just now sit in chair and bear a little weight on it at a time gradually bearing more weight on it over time then walking without crutches eventually . When you can do that stand on a stair with half foot on edge of stair when you can di this then lift the good foot off thus putting all the weight on the operated foot ..also hold onto something and try and stand on your toes a bit at a time until eventually can do it ..standing with your back to the wall leaning on the wall and raise your feet up ..also walking heal and the toe up and down your house until you can go out and walk outside with crutches or not .. By the time you are able to do these you will feel you are on your way . You should feel a differance within a few days . After starting the exercises . The above exercises were given to me by physio to help loosen up the feet and ankle .. If you have a static bike or a bike in the gym this will also make a big differance to your recovery once you feel you can walk a few hundred yards go to the local swimming baths and walk in it and then swim slowly at first build up to normal swimming .. It will take time to recover from an ankle injury is slow but everyone is different 

Good luck Jodie persevere and you will get there don't try and rush it wish you well Paula 

• Posted

Thank you both so much I thought it was just me yes iv had surgery and plates and screws but got to go have another op soon to have one of the screws out I will try a few of them excersises and ask more tomorrow at physio I will keep you updated. 8 am impatient when it comes to not being able to do anything I'm hoping to be back at work next month but I work in a shop so I'm on my feet all the time and I have to drive there too.. good luck with your physio tomorrow as well 3daphne23784 xx
    • Posted

I've got 8-10 weeks of free Physio sessions. Then according to the powers that be I should be fully independent. Well see! @(*+*)#
  • Posted

Hi Jodie, the movements of your leg will come back you. They

May be little by little . ;keep an eye on the swelling.

It is hard to bear weight on your foot. Try sitting down

with your,,feet in front of you. Visualize their movement

Slowly move your toes, slowly try to rest your foot flat on the

ground. If. you can move your foot to left to right. Do. all the

movement's you did before breaking ankle..regards, Julie

• Posted

Hi Jodie

Just wanted to add my voice to the rest.  I am 12 weeks out from an ankle break.  After 6 weeks NWB it has been a long battle to get back to walking.  I was totally clueless and thought once the fracture healed I would resume my activities.  Who knew that the muscles,tendons etc shrink or stiffen from the NWB? I didn't!!!  PT is helping me a lot but I still walk with discomfort.  I have resigned myself to accepting that it might take a year for the discomfort and swelling to go away.  I am a 63 year old who before this injury was playing tennis and pickleball.  I hope to resume these activities but now understand it will not happen anytime soon.  

What you are experiencing is normal so try and relax and take one day at a time.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.