Need attention

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am 30 years guy, I am married and i moved to usa 1 year ago from last couple of month i feel so sad nothing feels good no hope etc. I feel like i am gonna die and next day not gonna be come.

I feel body pain specially my heart side and i have done all test and all heart test are normal. Now Doctor says you have anxiety and depression and said you have to go to physiatrist and ask for medication. Now i am worry what shoud i do because i heard that if you gonna start medication then you gonna used to of it and you have to take life time and if you quit taking medication then depressing gonna start again, Please any one have experience regarding this or depressing so please please tell me and suggestions for me.

Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If you don't take ANY other medication....you can look into herb suppliments for depression and anxiety.

I know that Ginseng is listed for this....because i just came off an antidepressent...and I'm researching.

But, you have to be careful to research what you will take so that you don't cause more harm.

Ginseng and Fish oil seem very safe and beneficial for these things.

• Posted

Thanks for reply.

That's sounds good but hurb medication don't have any side effects or eduction?)

• Posted

Hi...yes, herbs can have side effects.

I'm going to send you a private message with a link

• Posted

Hi smsih - sorry to read of your dilema. Medications for anxiety and depression are a tool used by the medical profession to help alleviate depression and anxiety. They are not a permanent fixture. They help you to deal with the overwhelming black cloud that interferes with all manner of things - sleep, confusion, stress etc. They are used in combination with therapy - either a psychiatrist, psychologist and/or counsellor - to enable you to focus on getting better. You will need to talk out your issues to find what is the root of your condition.

Moving to a new country surrounded by strangers is a big step. You may be mourning things you have left behind, which is perfectly natural. You will need to be totally open with the psychiatrist/psychologist/counsellor as they are there to help and cannot if you hide things. If the doctor is judgemental, dismissive or condescending, then get another. It is imperative you feel comfortable with them. Anything you tell them is totally confidential unless you threaten self harm or harm to someone else.  

You have not mentioned where you have moved from and wondering whether it was from a zone of conflict. The physical symptoms you are experiencing are connected with your mental anguish. Don't be afraid, take action. Medications will take a couple of weeks to work and it is important you don't ditch them just because you are feeling better. Suddenly stopping doses can lead to a spiralling down of mood and well being, which can be dangerous. You are only 30 and there is a whole life ahead of you. You will get better. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hello Wayne1962,

That's really awesome reply thank you so much, i want to know that if i go to phychiatrist for medication i am just worried about that if i start medication then I'll be dependent on medication for whole life, that I heard is it true?

I have already many visit to phycologist I felt better but now its start again, I am just worried abt talking medication to dependent on it for my all life??.

• Posted

Hi Smsih - thanks for your reply. I fully understand your concern about meds for life, particularly as the medical profession seem to think a pill will sort everything out. Meds for depression are supposed to be a tool to help the patient feel better so issues can be tackled in an intellectual way rather than by emptional response. The psychiatrist will evaluate what manner of depression you suffer and will prescribe the med that he/she thinks is most suitable for your condition - if a med is required at all.  The med will take several weeks to work properly and you will feel your mood lighten. Some people then stop taking them, which is not a good idea as there is a risk of spiralling back into depression or even a suicidal slump.  Communication with the psychiatrist about how you feel with the meds and any side effects you are experiencing may mean a modulation of the dose, or even swapping to another more suitable med. There is no one-size-fits-all potion for depression.

If you do choose to see a psychiatrist, you are not obliged to take the meds they prescribe. However, the brain is a very complex organ. Depression can be an imbalance of chemical interaction, and this imbalance cannot be regulated by thought processes alone. Therapy in conjunction with meds can lead to a life changing event. 

Unless you have a very severe form of depression which never seems to lift, and you have had it life-long, it would be probable that meds would only be a helping hand to assist you to deal with the issue(s) that have launched the depression. They would not be life-long requirement. Talk to a psychiatrist - you don't have to do what they say if you have reservations, but it will address your concerns over length of time meds might be required and what other steps you might take to address your particular problem. Best of luck to you and be kind to yourself. Btw, you are doing the right thing by researching avenues for your future. That's intelligent. smile

• Posted

Hi wayne1962,

Thanks for your Helpful reply, I am glad people really help here. I am going to see Doctor tomorrow.

Thanks again smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.