Need encouragement from those who know.

Posted , 15 users are following.

3.5 Wk's post op. Still so tired, sleeping v ad hoc, still needing co codamol 4 times daily. I tried to reduce to see if tiredness improved but it was to painful. And little change to bending. So fed up as never ending. Everyone says I'm doing brill ( not my physio) but I know no one who has had the op apart from all u fantastic people. 😘Will life ever be normal again 😂

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes yes Life Will be " Normal " Again I'm 12 years Post TKR it takes Time To Recover

Be Kind to Yourself😊

Infact I'm due For Surgery Saturday on my other knee soooo I know what's coming

Deep breaths for me 😮

And Keep Up Your Good Recovery ?

• Posted

Good luck and a good recovery Michywishy!  To be honest, I'm a bit envious.  I can't wait for my other one to be done and I'm only just coming up for 5 weeks post op from the last one LOL!  I'm counting the days off to see the physio and get signed off for this one (on 18th April) and then they can put me down to see the surgeon and team for blood tests etc and then make the appointment for the next one:-))))  Today I did a bit on the recumbent bike and, for the first time, a bit on the treadmill!  Very slow, only for 5 minutes, but I'll build it up every day now.  That was as well as going out shopping, so quite a busy day:-)))

I hope your op goes really well - do keep us updated!

• Posted

O Wow I don't think I did any of that 5 weeks post surgery ? You are keen for the next TKR I've put this off for over 2 years!!

Pain during the nights have made the final decision 😔

• Posted

Michywishy, I'm one of those rare folks who have breezed through this op, with no pain apart from when back of knee felt as though something was trapped there, but physio told me to not push bend for a couple of weeks, and it settled down in a week.  I'd be there for the second op tomorrow given the chance!  It's the pain of the other knee that's kept me awake since this TKR, not the operated one!  So it's no wonder I'm keen for the second.  BUT, I have read that two knees on the same person can be a very different experience, so I can only hope LOL!  I hope yours goes really well though!  Do keep us updated!

• Posted

You Are Lucky 😀

I'm A Baby at 61 Lol

Low Pain Threshold but I do get there Eventually 😉

• Posted

Yes, you are the younger end:-))))  I'm 67.  I've got a very high pain threshold, and that's how I've managed to put the first TKR off for about 10 years since they first offered it to me.  But I knew the time had come, and it was a case of saying to the surgeon 'take your pick' when he asked which one first LOL!  So the time comes for all of us at some point:-))))

• Posted

Just like to ask what procedure did you have for The Surgery ie General or Spinal Anesthesia 🙂

Thanks

• Posted

Good luck you're very brave I'm 12 week's couldn't face my other leg for at least another two month's keep in touch 😁😁😁😁😁

• Posted

I had a spinal (and a sedative).  When I went for the 'meet the team day' I was positive I wanted a general but when I spoke to them and got the leaflets I was quite happy to have a spinal and it was utterly painless.  The worst bit of the whole op, and something I won't forget in a hurry was that I was very cold before going into theatre and then they sloshed some FREEZING liquid down my back that made me gasp LOL!  But then they put a warm air tube across me and the only thing I remember after that was them lifting my leg and I laughed because it didn't FEEL like my leg.  In theatre I heard a hammering noise at one point and stapling noise but it was all very removed and didn't bother me at all.  And of course, with the spinal you recover much faster, so a few hours later I was up and down the ward on my crutches!:-))))  Absolutely no way I'd have anything but a spinal again:-))))

• Posted

Im not too sure Im in the UK and varies from Area and Surgeons/Consultants........I will have to wait and see on Saturday when discussed with The Team As Mentioned Im not good with "needles" drains drips .........rolleyes I couldnt bare to hear any of the procedure .......

But many Thanks for Advice 

• Posted

I had spinal with sedation it was fine did not hear anything or see anything and slept throughout. They were able to top analgesia up this way too which helped 48 hours post op. So if you don't get GA don't worry x

• Posted

Your anaesthetists will take care of you all the best
    • Posted

I had spinal for the first time highly recommended didn't wakeup BUT remember a few noises but helps with the pain afterwards and gets you on your legs quicker

• Posted

Hi I'm in the uk too and I had a sedative and spinal. It was like having a general as I was completely zonked out ... heard nothing and felt nothing. As there is a risk with any general anaesthetic I'm glad I had the spinal.

I remember feeling freezing too and that spray on my back 😱 Brrrr but after that nothing.

• Posted

Hello there, I thoroughly recommend having the Spinal Block & Sedation! I took my iPod & listened to music, but actually fell asleep. There were sounds but from far away & removed from me. I didn't hear the surgical team talking! It was relaxed & they gave a pain shot in the joint, so didn't feel anything either that nigh.

The complete upside is as soon as the op is over you are awake & are given food & drink straight away in Recovery. The only surreal thing I remember is after the op the surgeon lifting both legs together & I thought wow those grey things are attached to me!! Everything was grey, as the lighting is quite low in theatre, the surgeon has the BIG bright light!! But I didn't feel them that was the thing, my mind said,nope legs are where they should be, eyes said, wrong they not down there!! Confusion!!

The theatre team are all lovely, you get your own nurse who is with you to hold your hand & the Anaesthetist is focussing solely on you.

Having had GA twice in 2015 I much prefer the Spinal.

Hope it all goes well.

• Posted

The other knee replaced Michywishy.  The surgeon asked me which one first and I told him to take his pick.  There was little to choose between them, so I chose the one first that was bending out so much because of the arthritis that it looked as though I'd just got off my horse.  It's straight now:-))))

• Posted

All they said to me for the spinal was 'slight scratch' and HONESTLY - it wasn't even that - that was for the numbing injection before they put the spinal in.  Then they said 'slight pressure' and I waited and then they started doing something else and I had to ask if it was done!  It was utterly painless.  The noise I heard was so vague - the sedatives somehow 'remove you from the situation' so it doesn't affect you at all - it's like something on the tv and you come round so much quicker and feel so much better after it.  I'd go for that every time, absolutely NO second thought!  You still get the catheter thing in your hand with both anaesthetics.

• Posted

Yes, I should have mentioned that - it's important!  With the spinal they put in a painkiller that lasts for the first 48 hours and this is MUCH more effective than anything you get with the general!  I'd recommend it if you get the choice.

• Posted

) Hi and Thanks 

Were you given GA for TKR?? I have 3 Arthroscopy's All Under GA 

Also TKR 12 Years Ago had GA Was Fine Reovery Was Pretty Good Too back then had Morphine Pump for 48 hours which I gather now is not common practice here in the UK cry I'm A Scaredy Cat Dunno whats worse Knowing Whats Coming or Not knowing Lol rolleyes 

• Posted

Thanks for All the Info and Encouragement 

12 years is a long time lots of changes I know since I had my Surgery but I must admit even with GA Back in '05 I did have Pain Management it was Excellent biggrin 

Its A Long Long Road To Recovery I suppose the Actual "OP" is the Easy Part Lol.... biggrin 

• Posted

It has to be pretty good when the worst part of an operation is being cold LOL!  That's what I keep telling myself LOL!

• Posted

LOL!  That was my last memory before the op Marilyn.  Seeing them lift a leg and laughing that it didn't feel like my leg but it looked like my leg LOL!  So I went under the sedative laughing and probably came round laughing:-)))  Yes, they are all so kind!  Until they slosh that ice cold stuff on your back (I wonder if they're laughing then but you can't see them LOL!)

• Posted

Hi Michywishy, no I had spinal block for the TKR, the GAs were for thyroid ops.

Spinal is much better, with the sedative you just doze off, it's not complete sleep as you do hear them tapping the new joint in, but as Chris said it's so far removed it doesn't worry you. That was my biggest fear, that I would hear something I wouldn't like. But really, it was much much better than going right under!

They gave me the morphine pump too. Urghhh! I shall certainly not have that again. Awful stuff, I fell asleep all the time, mid sentence talking even! I couldn't keep anything down. No never again!

Yes I had GA for arthroscopy in 2008. I remember after being extubated I had this huge blood blister thing at the back of my mouth, was very sore! And that was in a private hospital on the NHS!! Spinal much better, you are properly awake after & the painkiller they give you in theatre is excellent.

Take care.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.