Need good reviews on long term Omerprazole

Posted , 8 users are following.

Are there any good stories out there with long term use of ppi’s,?

All you here is the bad. 

I actually live down the street from NIH ( national institute of health)

And asked 3 doctors, and 2 researchers in pharmaceuticals.

They all said the percentage of people with issues is 1 out of 200.

A lot of patients and study volunteers have other issues and take other drugs . 

I don’t doubt the people who have bad experiences with this drug . 

I have Barrett’s and my gi said the pros out weigh the cons. would  I rather keep  acid off my Esophagus  or burn it and make it worse.

I must say it was refreshing to hear from some of the top researchers in the world . I’m not sure there biased or not . 

It’s funny how one good story can make you feel wonderful , untill you read bad ones and anxiety sets in .

Any tips are greatly appreciated such as calcium, magnesium,  B 12 supplements. If so what kind are the best?

I eat super healthy, raise the bed, and Definitely stop eating three hours before bedtime. I think that’s what caused my Barrett’s  in the first place. Years of chowing down and laying on the couch at night

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been on it for over 20 years.After reading all the negative stuff I asked my new GI dr if it was a danger to kidneys and he said no. All these negative links are lawyers wanting to make money

• Posted

Prior to taking a PPI I had been prescribed Tagamet. That reduced my urine output and gave me a kidney problem that led to an X-Ray and a cystoscopy. It cleared up when I stooped taking it. 
    • Posted

Janet, 

Have you been taking any supplements, or just eating well?

Can I ask what medicine you’re taking and the milligram ?  

From what I’ve read and learned through doctors is that one 20 mg of omeprazole daily is pretty low.

• Posted

I hope you have more years of success!! .

My nurse said that after a couple years I’ll get my Survalience  endoscopy and the doctor may adjust the drug or I hope there’s even a lower dose...

• Posted

i know really!

I was reading a book on how to control acid reflux and everywhere in the book they were leaning  you to buy another book, or subscribe to something and just total negative talk about proton pump inhibitor‘s .

Not one good thing but millions and millions of peeps are on them

I guess all meds have nasty side effects but it’s better than my Barrett’s progressing ....   I’m always wondering if my Les is week . Any idea what that test is called ?   

If it was to progress on me, I will consider the lynx or sone other procedure .  

• Posted

I've been taking various ones since 2001. The only side effect I put down to it is a rather dry mouth during the night. My present GP is not against long term us and my previous GP was a long term user of them as well. He said that the only time he didn't take them was when travelling to 'mucky' countries when he wanted more acid in his stomach to combat local bugs.

• Posted

Hi Matt, I have been on PPIs (20mg twice daily) for 5 years , I am 70 with a Hiatus Hernia and Barrett's, this medication doesn't 100% stop acid reflux but it certainly does help, if I still have problems then I use Gaviston or Rennies as an extra help and for pain sometimes Ranitidine, it hasn't been an easy ride but your body does adjust to it, at the end of the day what is the alternative, my ailments have slightly improved due to this medication so that's a positive, yes I take a supplement of Vit B and Vit D and also Calcium, I am very fit for my age and keep my weight at sensible levels, eat small  portions and low intake of alcohol, your right to use the wedge for uplift at night, other than that its down to your body, I think your GI is correct would you rather burn your oesophagus and have the consequences of that or take the medication, yes side effects do happen, problems with sleeping, anxiety attacks and bloating , my belief is through fitness you can bear these things.

I use Healthspan for my supplements and I find them excellent, one other thing I also use is Aloe Vera juice which I buy from Lanzarote as its pure unlike some that you will buy in the UK

Hope all that helps

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for the detailed response. I’m 46 and I luv to hear good things about the ppi s. 

I have a physical coming up and I’m going to ask my doctor to give me a full blood scan to be sure I’m not the deficient  in anything.

My only symptom was getting hunger like nasous feeling through out the day .

My G.I. doctor kind of blew it off for a while until I demanded that he give me an endoscopy to see what’s wrong. And then he comes back on the operating table and says “oh yeah you have Gerd”

And he handed me a brochure  and set me on my way. Two weeks after that after the pathologies report suspecting possible Barrett’s. He told me right to my face I really don’t think you have it but will give you another endoscopy in six months...  my stress. Level was visible and he gave me an endoscopy in 2 monrhs . ( about 3 weeks Ago) 

I’m sitting in the waiting room after surgery and he tells me I have low segment Barrett’s. And I just looked at him with them crazy look.......

I’ve learned so much on this siteand zero from him .  

Thanks for your input. I hope your symptoms are already getting better

Matt from US

• Posted

HiL Lindy it’s just an indigestion tablet which you dissolve in your mouth 
    • Posted

Have you tried Bisodol ? They work best for me if I need something when out and about.
    • Posted

Yes very good and as u say handy when out and about 

Cheers 

• Posted

Yes that’s  it , Rennies basically the same as Bisodol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.