Need help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed hyper in May, and have since been on methimazole. When I started, all levels were normal except for my TSH - it was a .08. After first blood work, it was at a .66. Two weeks ago, it was at a .86 with free t3 at 3.63 (range is 2.77-5.27) and free t4 at 1.35 (range is .78 to 2.19). However, I still don't feel good. Still hungry all the time and fighting to maintain my weight. Still don't sleep well. Still have heart palpitations. I wake up anxious and in a fog. The dr says I should be feeling better because I am now "in range". Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?? I would LOVE to feel like me again. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

How long have you been on methimazole?  I have Graves disease and had a bad flare up 3 months ago and have just started to feel better. It's taken my body that long to take to the medicine. 

In addition to the medicine, I'm on a low carb, low gluten high protein diet.  I cook my vegetables and I'm on a very low sugar diet.  I'm also taking vitamin d, b12 and magnesium which has helped me with muscle strengthening and movement as I was having a hard time walking and was needing a walker.  

I hope this helps

• Posted

I started in May. I'm also on high protein, low gluten, lots of fruit and vegetables. I've been a health nut for years, but can't workout or do much more than walk these days because I'm afraid of getting my heart stirred up. I'm on propranolol, which keeps it maintained, but it just feels too risky to push it. Just hate this feeling of "when am I going to feel right again" looming over me day after day. 

• Posted

I really don’t know as my numbers are as far out of whack as yours are and I saw my doc July 24, he drew my blood and said to come back in 2 months for a bone density test, and I hurt all over, and have also gained weight. I am fighting a losing battle as I am also hungry all the time. I am not on any meds.i have trouble sleeping, and get up tired.  Also I try not to do too much as the heart palpitations are not good on a regular basis. We don’t want to do damage by overdoing it. If it’s any consolation, you are not alone. My best advice would be to get a second opinion. Life is short, and this is a hard way to live.

Wish I had better answers. God bless, and hang in there. 

• Posted

No that's right, you're not alone.  I still.have symptoms and I wake up tired too just wanting to nap.  It is frustrating.  It is better that you're not working out.  I had a physical job and tore muscles from overdoing it.  If you're wanting to get some exercise just go for short walks and/or light swimming.  That's what my endo told me but to be honest, my endo may not have all the answers either.  It's hard finding what to do what's right for our bodies.  

• Posted

I know. I worked as a nurse, and did a lot of hauling. I also have COPD which also complicates things. I do know it takes your body time to level out. Time is on your side. You have to remain positive. That’s the hard part. No matter what we will get through this!

Stay positive!

• Posted

The doc I went to wants to see how I am doing on my next appointment. He stated he is not sure that I have Hyperthyroidism. He thinks it might be something else . My blood results took 48 hours before I got them. I have 3 that are abnormal. He wants to see how I am doing on my next appointment. If nothing is done, I am done with him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.