Need help! Advice on anxiety while at Work

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am currently at work in the office, and am not having a good day at all. Started this job 4-5 months ago after I thought I was well again from my depression earlier this year.

Feeling anxiety getting stronger and stronger today and I am close to anxious tears. But as I am still in the office, I am doing my best to push through and not let it show. Some days are better and some are worse. But I cannot help to feel isolated at work, which is due to me needing to be quiet and on my own when I feel anxious, especially in the office.

Went for lunch now, enjoying a baguette for lunch, went out to eat to get a change of scenery for a while.

Trying to keep a good profession face at work is incredible hard while carrying such heavy feelings and thoughts. Doing my best not to seem or sound sad/cross/short/dismissive. Does anyone have any good advice to share that have worked for you?

Thanks for your time reading this.

Jen

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Adding to the above that I am not under any medication at all. Tried a few tablets briefly back in March for anxiety and sleep, but have not tried any since then. I am now not even on my birth control pills as I read somewhere recently that the hormones in those pills can have a negative impact if being depressed..
    • Posted

Hi Jen,

I think you need to visit yr GP. I definitely believe in medication. I take fluoxetine 20mg for a year now. It definitely helped me, though it does take between 4-6 weeks to kick in. Side effects are not nice, but once you are over that they work, but i know everybody is different, so they may not suit all. Also i had therapy, which helped me. Good luck. D

• Posted

Also , while remaining calm, maintain deep slow and calm breaths. Don't let breath become shallow or fast . It will require some will power for few days but then after few days , it shall become new you. Also , it helps you focus deeply , fearlessly because you are closer to your true self . Transcend that ego and go to your true self which is perfect source of health and wisdom .

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for your advice. I may go to the GP someday soon..

What side effects have you had from that medication?

I have been previously to speak to 3 therapists in total but did not find that any of them helped. One was even rude to me, so I stopped going. After that, I have not picked up the ball on that one again, but I have heard from people that say I need to keep looking until I find the right fit for me, but there is lack of energy on my part to keep searching..

Having a bother bad day today. At some point, I don't know if it is my depression that makes me alienate myself in the office and make me feel sad and anxious, or the fact that some people are just ass holes and I can just not bear to come into contact with them even if I have to. Probably a combination of both..

• Posted

I'm in the same boat friend, been like this for a year in a demanding job where I'm constantly needing to learn and absorb information and the depression makes it so hard I have no short term memory atall among other effects, grind it out and get back on the meds if they help, I feel mine starting to work so long may it improve and continue, all the best

• Posted

See your doctor again and get on some medication for your anxiety and depression! They will help you cope, but as many have said it does take awhile! I have been on generic Paxil for 4 1/2 weeks and just beginning to feel better! Believe me I feel your pain! 
  • Posted

Have unshakeable faith . All shall turn out to be fine. All is going to be fine . Affirm I am competent and shall be fine from deepest Center of your consciousness . Keep repeating it as much required .

It has worked for me .

Remain relaxed. Do anxiety receiving breathing techniques .

• Posted

Read relieving instead of receiving
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer,

The side effects i got were: Dry mouth, dizziness, no appetite for a while, Terrible anxiety an no sleeping. I also had panic attacks. Also you will want to be solitary. I had 6 weeks off work. After 6-8 weeks i felt normal. Depression and anxiety is a terrible combination. I had talk Therapy and went on a stress and anxiety course, it really helped. You obviously need help.

Good luck.

D

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, sorry to read that you're going through hard times. I have been through this myself and it's so hard. I started a new job and weeks into it my anxiety and depression hit. Things caught up on me and knocked me back so hard. I started taking Fluoxetine again and Propananol for my Anxiety attacks. It was awful, sweating, hot flushes, shaking, dry mouth, lack of appetite and wanting to vomit. Also hardly any sleep and hallucinating. The negative thoughts got worst. I would try and concentrate on the job and it was a very demanding role but I just felt like running away in tears and wanted to go home and curl up in a ball on my bed. I took 20mg for 8 weeks and it was okay it started to get a little better. Then it hit me again so went to 40 mg and due to side affects I could not cope. The doctor signed me off and in the end I left the job as I would be signed off for a while. Since then I have started to feel better. I still get down days but it's not as hard. I would say that sometimes you need that rest away from work to get yourself back on track. Read a lot, write a journal on how you feel and watch movies that you love. Also go for long walks to clear your mind. It's not easy at first but then you start to feel better.

Keep your head up and remember you're strong. God bless x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.