Need help depressed with anxiety on fluoxetine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on fluoxetine 20mg for 4weeks now and im up  and down mainly down in the morning with anxiety feeling very nervous and running to the bathroom to poop, ive fluoxetine before this my second time for being depressed i not sure how long it took because i had let it got very bad trying to deal with it on my own, intime it helped, so im trying to see if i should give more time and if it worked before will it work again....

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Two things to think about here. Drugs used to alleviate clinical depression are not magic bullets that just work out of the box; they can take time while your system  adapts to them. Secondly the dosage is important. After 4 weeks it seems to me that the dosage needs to be increased to at least 2x20mg daily. Then there is also the possibility that the time of day that you take a dose may not be the best. A little experiment on timing can help.

As you've been there before I wonder if you had fully recovered from that first time. It is too easy for a patient to think they are better (because they 'feel' better( when in reality the patient has only reached an improved position and is still frail underneath. My experiences suggest that you need to be on the drug for a long, long time after you think you are better. Then comes the difficulty of coming off the medication. That needs to be done gradually with agreement of your GP/consultant.

Fluoxetine/Prozac does have a powerful affect on many people but is not the same for everyone. Occasionally changing to a different drug can prove positive. But my belief is that you should first try a higher dose and do not expect miracles immediately.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks, i was on flu 20mg for a year in a half, was off them maybe over 6mths with no side effects frm coming off on my on, just hate i have to start all over. With these feeling 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No recognisable side effects may seem good but my guess is still that you stopped those meds too soon, and after that you have skowly relapsed without realising it. It is so easy to fall back into depression and although there is all that passed experience still not realise what is happening until it gets really bad.

See your GP/consultant about an increase and then try taking one in the morning and one at night.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks alot, i know he will up the dose if i ask but im scared if i do will the side effects get worser, like dis morning i took it i fellt my mouth getting watery i kept saying dont throw it up next thing ya know im throwing up all the water and the pill half way dissolved so i ended up taking another one
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You cannot get such a reaction immediately after taking a pill. Your mind is running wild. Side effects can arise with any medication and to varying degrees depending upon the person. However, in the vast majority of cases any side effects are very small and what you need to concentrate on is the positive (instead of thinking about negatives) as how you think does have an impact on your recovery.

You want the medication to work - then believe in it as that gives you an advantage.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yeah, it's very likely that you've found a compatable drug, but if you find there's too many side effects you should tell your gp or prescribing figure. Have you mentioned the side effects to her/him?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Also, on the point raised by @Jaguar, sometimes antidepressants can take 6 weeks or more to take full effect, so it is likely that things will soon improve if they did before smile So all-in-all it's good news from here on out!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up