Need help? Depression?

Posted , 9 users are following.

i'm 14 years old and i've been 'depressed' since january 2013. i say 'depressed' because i haven't been diagnosed and i don't want to self-diagnose. my mum knows that i harmed myself but she doesn't know i still do, she knows how i feel and says she'll take me to a doctor but hasn't. this was a good few months ago. i'm wondering if i can go to the doctors myself, in the uk, but if i do will they be able to prescribe me anything if needed without a parent there? i just feel so suicidal 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Don't get drugs, you may be too young still, but I'm 17 and looking for therapy you should too it will help
    • Posted

i know people who were 12 when they were prescribed antidepressants, so im not too young, but they were with their parent 
    • Posted

i don't think therapy would help me very much - talking about my problems makes me feel 10x worse and makes me feel more suicidal 
    • Posted

Yes I know when I talk about my anxiety and depression I want to hurt myself, but a professional will help with that because they are really good at what they do
  • Posted

Hi josie, your must be honest with your parents straight away, you really, really need to see your doctor as soon as possible... be completely honest about how sad and desperate you feel, it is important that you make them understand... tell your parents how you really, really feel and they will accompany you... please do not ignore these feelings, you can be helped, you should be carefree and enjoying life at your age, I really wish you well and happiness, big, big hugs to you, take care, Deirdre, xxx
  • Posted

Please get expert help you need someone who knows how to guide you 
  • Posted

I dont know if you can go to the doctors alone. I would think so. Call them yourself and, explain your situation. I'm sure that if your Mum was made aware that you still feel bad and are still harming yourself she would act quickly. Don't feel alone. All of us on here will try to help and advise you x
  • Posted

Dear josie,

Because of your age it would be a good idea to visit your doctor with your mum, but if you feel you cannot do this, I am sure the people in your surgery where your doctor works will be able to make you an appointment.

If the doctor needs to give you any medicine he will know all the rules he has to stick to.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Josie... I don't know if you still feel this way, and I hope you don't. If you do however then I hope that I can help you... I would definitely not recommend drugs. They might provide a temporary fix but in the long run it'll just toss you another thing to battle. You have to learn to get through things on your own. I'm 15 and I was depressed as well until very recently. I'm still not solid or anything but I've made a lot of progress. To be honest just four months ago I was contemplating suicide, but I was forced into situations that I couldn't leave unfinished and because of that I've had to fix myself and get better. The only real way to get over anything is to accept everything and work towards improving your situation. I don't know exactly what it is that's troubling or was troubling you and I understand if you aren't comfortable sharing that but whether you think that nobody cares about you, or you don't care about yourself, there will always be a part of you that is worth treasuring. All of this probably sounds really corny and cliche but I mean it. If you don't think that anyone likes you, look at everything optomisticly and you'll find things that will show you that they do. And if you feel worthless and like you're not needed, then I promise you, you are needed. whether it's your family, friends, or even your pet, I promise that they would be heartbroken if anything ever happened to you. Remember, there are always people that will care about you, and some you haven't even met yet. if you want to contact me you can, and if you don't then I hope this has reached you. I hope you make it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.