need help not sure what a flare up is

Posted , 3 users are following.

After having a colonoscopy given a photo and it said i had diverculitis .I'm on 8 mavocol a day .I'm always bloated and I have periods of pain in my stomach.But today is the worse it's even been I'm in constant pain in my stomach and lose back .As not on Dr has told me what to expect I'm confused as to when I should go and get checked out .Would anyone call this a flare up ? .Even thou I'm taking mavocol every day .Today I'm very constipated. Please someone help me understand if this is what's called a flare up and what I should do many thanksb

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i would say if in any doubt then go to the doctor. In my experience ( both times) having a colonoscopy disturbs the natural balnce of an already sensitive gut and can bring on an infection. Having gone 18months with no trouble i had a routine recal for a colonoscopy in March and i am on my second round of antibiotics. I'm grateful to be cared for, but am dreading my next recall. See your doctor and good luck.

• Posted

When my flare ups started I had no idea what was happening so I went to the clinic.  I am a county employee and we have a clinic for general illnesses.  The Doc there told me to go to the emergency if I had any more pain.  I went the first time as was treated like a drug seeker because they couldn't figure why the pain was coming and going.  The next time I went to the clinic he told me to go to the ER and away I went but to another hospital.  They started to treat me the same way because again the pain was coming and going.  My daughter told them off and they finally did a CT scan.  I had serious diverticulitis and they gave me antibiotics and Cipro for UTI.  Somehow they seem to go hand and hand.  That go better then a few months later it happened again and I met with a surgeon who said I had an absess and put me in the hospital.  I was released 5 days later with yet another round of antibiotics after taking them the entire time I was in there.  

So to answer your question, I'm no medical doctor but I would say yes you are having flare ups.  If they get to be often enough they will offer to do a bowel resection.  Then you will have some decisions to make.  

Take it easy, rest, dring liquids and let your bowel rest.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Lucy I've just put another discussion on if I had read your reply then I wouldn't have bothered .I'm going to get a Dr appointment today .Last night was awful the pain after eating felt like labour pains haha and I'm to old for that.Fingers crossed I get some help.Today

• Posted

Twenty one, it is all good.  Get the Doc's opinion and see what you need to do.  If it's surgery you will do fine through it.  I personally had some issues but my body sort of has a mind of it's own now days so I was full of surprises.    

I'm not sure what mavacol is.  Is it a pain killer?  I was taking percocet for pain.  I'm not big on pain meds so I would be suffering before I would take anything.  I'm just weird that way I guess.  I am 68 years old but I still remember labor pains and I can feel your "pain" if you know what I mean.

There are people who go through this kind of surgery every day and when they have recouped they are back to normal and are really glad they had it done.  Chin up chickadee, you will get some help, I'm sure.  Then you will heal and be back to normal soon.    

• Posted

Thank you Lucy Movocol is a power to help me go .As I was diagnosed with IBS years ago .I try not to take pain killers myself but sometimes I have to .didn't manage to get an appointment for today with the Dr will try tomorrow .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.