Need help please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a diagnosis for a long list of issues.

I am on here as I have a low motility (30%) of my gallbladder. Consultant doesn't believe it's causing my pains and doesn't want to take it out.

My pain is fairly constant on my right side under my ribs. It's achy and dull. After I eat it gets worse. It is under my ribs on the right side towards the last few ribs. Pain goes into my back and up into my shoulder. The pain is also in my epigastric area inbetween my ribs.

I have trying to find out if it is my gallbladder or whether I do have an issue with my pancreas.

I had a HIDA scan and I know what gallbladder contraction pains feel like. This is what I have after i eat most things. Even low fat.

Thank you for reading. Any advice or thoughts on this are welcome.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The area where you have the pain sounds to me like gallbladder

I would strongly recommend you to ask for an abdominal ultrasound to actually see how much biliary sludge you have in there or if you have gallbladder stone(s).

have you noticed that your urine is turning more yellow than usual, or the white of your eyes have a little yellow? if that's the case then something it's obstructing your bile to flow normally from your liver. Also, when you have gallstones you may also develop an infection due to the accumulated bile.

So the sooner you have a diagnostic the better to prevent chain reaction on these issues because of these type of things are very complex, my wife went thru this some months ago and it was a miracle she survived 

• Posted

Hi cesarduran,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she is ok and making a recovery.

Thank you for your advice. I have had many tests. They come up as normal, my 4th ultrasound showed debris. My HIDA scan showed my gallbladder as dysfunctioning.

I'm in that much pain I've come to the doctors today. I will see what they say.

Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Sounds like it might be time for a second opinion.

Anything under 35% is a sign of a faulty gallbladder. And it sounds like the symptoms are gallbladder related.

• Posted

Thank you tommyboy.

I do have an appointment with the surgeon. She said I could battle it out with him to see if they will take it out. I've been in agony since May 2014. And my symptoms are just getting worse.

My worries are will I be doing the right thing having it out? I'm petrified of "going under". My auntie had her gallbladder removed a few days ago and the cut through her artery, she's currently in intensive care, another one of my worries! And my consultant said I might have it out and my pains will continue. What if she's right?

I'm so confused! 😞

• Posted

I was presented with the same option.

All my tests came back normal (bloodwork, ultrasound, upper gi, stress test, ct scan) except my HIDA. My ef% came back at nearly 80%. The first surgeon was adamant that it wasn't my gallbladder. I lost nearly 40 lbs. I got a second opinion. Second surgeon said "I see this at least once a week." Told me that I had. 75/25 shot of getting rid of my symptoms by removing my gallbladder. I was in so much agony, that I was willing to risk that.

There's nothing wrong with being scared of going under. I've had two surgeries in the past 4 months and both times they gave me something to help keep me calm before they wheeled me back and by the time I was in the or, I was completely relaxed. And there is always a chance for error in any surgery. I had excessive bleeding when they did a liver biopsy during my gallbladder surgery. But a majority of surgeries go off without a problem. And yea, there is a chance the gb removal might not solve your problem. I guess it's all up to you if you want to take the chance, or continue to live in pain.

• Posted

Yo sound just like me and what my consultant siad to me. he said it wasnt typical gallbladder. He said the GB had one stone only and no inflammation. Well I can tell you he was wrong on both counts. Lots of inflammation and multiple stones!   I never got the really severe pains but just that constant dull nagging ache   in my right side and under ribs and some sharp ones in my shoulder/back. I had my GB out 6 weeks ago and I can eat at last smile although it is a slow process reintroducing things. I got to the stage before the op all i ate was vegetables and porridge that was it! I couldnt tolerate even the smallest amount of fat but I am now having bits here and there and its great smile Too me it sounds like Gb. You need to try and get a second opinion or push the surgeon to change his mind. Mine tried tot alk me out of it  saying i would probaly still have the problem after but im so glad I went ahead as it was my GB smile
    • Posted

Thank you for replying Jane. It's nice to know that it still possibly could be my gallbladder. I'm fed up of being disbelieved by everyone! I'm off to the Drs again this morning!

I'm glad your problems seem to be resolved smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.