Need help please :(

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, new poster.

I'm in a terrible state. I was out on Mirtazapine this time last year for 'anxiety' and 'depression'. What I was actually going through was acute benzo withdrawal, for which I believe it us virtually useless, but that's irrelevant now: I've been in Mirtazapine at 45mg for nearly a year.

I want to come off this drug because I don't think it is doing me any good. My psychiatrist set me a tapering schedule which was one week 45 / 30 day about, then week two 45 one day, 30 two days, then supposedly onto 2 weeks at 30. I thought I was getting away with virtually no symptoms until halfway through week 2 I starteed to get 'head rushes' and anxiety...the first episode was only a couple of hours but he next day it was four hours, and by Sunday night I just had to go back up to 45mg. The anxiety bordering on own if I was experiencing was just unmanageable.

How long will it take for me to stabilise again? (I was totally stable on 45). TBH honest I'm resigned to just taking it again for good, I simply cannot face another long period of bad WD.

And here's another question and this is so stupid, I don't know if i took my 45 last night because I'm in such a state! I think I might have but I'm not sure rolleyes it's because I have other meds to take. I won't make that mistake again! whats the best course of action? I took 15 mg this morning. Should I take another 45 now in case I did miss that dose? Or might that make me feel worse? What's the least bad thing to do here? Please I am really in a bad way, it is very frightening indeed. I just need to hear that I can stabilise again. Thank you!

0 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Chris, 

I wish i could wave a magic wand and come up with the answers you seek.

As i was only on 15mg for a very short time  i feel as though i don't have the experience of long term use to come up with a solution that may put your mind at rest. However i wouldn't reccomend taking your 45mg tablet until tomorrow when you can monitor your dosage properly. 45+15= 60mg- too much.

your anxiety is possibly based on the uncertanty surrounding your recent predicament. Try and tell yourself that things have gone a little messy but in the morning you'll be able to get back on track.

Finally, if things get on top of you - go and see your doctor again, after all that's what they're there for. If he or she can put your mind at rest it'll be worth more than fighting your problems alone.

I hope this has helped you to some extent. Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Posted

Thanks but I honestly know that this is not psychological, it's clearly physical. I was getting these symptoms well before yesterday's confision.

I took 15 this morning so should I take 30 this evening?

• Posted

What is your normal daily dose? Just make sure you don't exceed it.

• Posted

If your physical problems are due to a type of withdrawl then the 30mg tonight making it up to your normal 45mg may relieve some of your symptoms. 
  • Posted

I would go to the emergency room but they would only give me benzos sad I can't do that again

• Posted

Thank you to everyone btw! I am so grateful.
  • Posted

Needless to say I was told this drug was completely risk free in terms of dependency...
  • Posted

Helllo Chris

You must contact your GP and ask him/her what you should do.  Maybe NHS Direct Line could help you as well.  I am no expert, just a taker  of Mertazapine at night for the past 16 months.   I feel you must seek expert advice always when you have any problems taking any drugs.  I know I would if I had any doubts myself.  Sorry I cannot be any more helpful, but I am a dreadful worrier and would not want to give you any advice that could cause you problems.  I am in no way qualified to give you any advice on this level.  I am just an ordinary lady with anxiety health problems myself.    As a last resort you could perhaps call in at A & E and ask them their advice.  Get it sorted out Chris. Do not just take risks. Take care.    All  the best,   Jill

• Posted

Could I just ask one thing: I have really awful 'head pressure', it feels like my brain is in a vice. Is there any risk of seizure from the tapering I've done?

I had a (mild) seizure on benzos but that was cutting by 50% when at 5mg...

• Posted

I'm not generally prone to them, btw. This just feels so awful sad

• Posted

Be assured it is a w/d (discontinuation) symptom ... I've read of this.  You should keep a little journal of whats happening with these symptoms and be sure to let the p.doc who advised you know.  

If it doesn't get any better, or gets any worse, for your peace of mind I would walk into your doctors surgery and make sure to be seen.  Are you UK??  

• Posted

I spoke to my shrink on the phone last night and he said just to take the 45s until I stabilised again, but that there wasn't anything else he could do (he said he would have used benzos but obv not in my case)...today im finding that my mood is very badly affected: I feel tearful, anxious and have intrusive thoughts, and just really distressing mood changes that I can't do anything about.

Will this all lift when I stabilise at 45 again? It's extremely frightening and I'm on my own today...thank you again so much for your support.

• Posted

Yea I'm UK, I'm seeing a private shrink, he didn't put me on this stuff, that was NHS GP.

• Posted

I just read a link on your profile about reinstatement not working for some people, pretty scary - I assume that means when people have stopped the drug entirely? Should I definitely be ok to stabilise given my short taper and that I only got as far as 30?

Thanks!

• Posted

Having a little window of calm, thank goodness. Could that be the raised dose making its presence felt?
    • Posted

Hi, i am having same problems. Today trying to just get through, anxiety high, intrusive thoughts, and mood changes.  Mirtazapine too.  Trying to stick at it but spoke to Psych monday, he will get back to me with a new regime- dont know what that means but cant go on like this.  I still have the benzos too.  What is in store i dont know all i know is i am frightened of going out or seeing anyone.  Just want to feel better.  You should try to stabilise again meantime then take it from there. Hope it helps to know youre not the only one. 
    • Posted

Very sorry to hear of your troubles sad

Are you currently tapering mirt? How long have you been on and at what dose?

I just made it out to get some lunch and I didn't think that was possible today...really hope you get some relief soon.

• Posted

What benzos are you on and what dose? Are you tapering them?
    • Posted

Thanks. I am pleased younhave had a window today.  I am at 7.5mg but cant get lower. Benzo 5mg at bedtime, still not good sleep.
    • Posted

I have got down to 5mg Diaz at night, but need help to taper from 7.5 mirtaz at night.  My dr has said no to liquid.  I am still waking with suicidal idearion till i get going some days.  Managed a decent walk yesterday, 3 miles, but these drugs make you dog tired. Do you ever have stomach disturbance too, i have continual gut disturbance and I think its this but is it, mirtaz or Diaz? I am finding it so hard to decrease without becoming more agitated and wonder if i should leave alone but i hate taking these.
    • Posted

I took a conscious decision to stop tapering Diaz, with support of my psychiatrist. The WD was just unbearable for me and made me very suicidal.

I'm considering just staying on the mirt too...yes it's awful we got hooked on these things but I just think more and more: life is too short for withdrawal if it's months or even years of misery...i dunno. Take care of yourself, great you got out for a walk smile

• Posted

I am new to all this, never had diazepam in my life till last couple of years.

do you think it will be better to just stay on your two meds and do no more tapers?

i was not aware that diazepam withdrawal can cause suicidal ideation, psych never mentioned it.  Do you think 5mg is ok to keep taking or should I try to reduce slowly your experience sounds helpful

• Posted

Well everyone's experience is different, it's all biological chance really...Diazepam WD for those who get it bad is widely thought to be the worst...but some people get off the stuff with hardly any consequences. Just staying on them might be the only course of action for me, I need to get my life back and can't waste any more time on a taper that means I can't work...but I will probably try a very slow Mirt taper to see how I get on.

If you haven't found Diaz reduction hard then you're probably fine. You'd know about it if you'd got Diaz WD badly...! smile

• Posted

You have been very helpful.   I never got above 9mg and only some days but the 5mg has been a constant, that is what worries me,if i try to lower it will i not sleep, and if I do will the suicidal ideation get worse.   Its such a dilemma.  I am lucky(?) i dont work any more so can try out changes. I know diaz withdrawal is really bad and it frightens me to attempt it.

thinking maybe try slow withdrawal from 7.5 mirtaz first?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.