Need help: SEVERE UNDERWEIGHT

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a diagnosis for multinodular goiter for many years.  I was on and off methimazole, which I have abandoned because I was constantly getting colds and viruses.  I believe it wrecked my immune system.  Now, I have started Paleo and gluten free, but after jumping around with various approaches to eating (including vegan for a couple of months), I feel much, much better, but my BMI is "severe" underweight....I am trying to log my food and eat nutrient dense foods, vitamins, probiotics, etc.  I had been always thin, but not this underweight.  I used to run competitively, which I think was another mistake with my health condition.  Now, I don't exercise at all.  I am also off of caffeine and sugar, just recently. ANYONE HELP????

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, just curious, when was the last time you had blood work done and do you know what your levels are currently like? 

• Posted

had labs 2 weeks ago, and, as usual, the only marker which was off is my TSH low (now: 0.016).  I am beginning Paleo and gluten free again, but my BMI is severely underweight....I eat a lot (including healthy carbs) and "power shakes", etc.....any ideas for me?  Thank you!

• Posted

Have you had a chance to speak to a dietitian? They are usually well versed in all areas of health.
    • Posted

Yes, thank you, but they are not helpful as I am lactose intolerant, and gluten free now.

Just wish I could find someone on planet Earth here with my same problem!!!

TKS!

• Posted

Hi t39988, you mentioned that your TSH is low. Is you FT3 within a normal range (in addition to FT4)? 

Regarding your diet, since you are already selecting healthy energy dense food there is little that can be improved. The only suggestion I would have is to make sure that you get enough Iodine. I don't know where you live but in the UK, the main sources of Iodine are dairy products and fish.  Since the UK is an Iodine deficient region animal feed is fortified with Iodine.  If you are interested I could forward you a link to the Iodine fact sheet of the UK society of dieticians. 

Do you have any other symptoms? Just being thin is not bad per se as long as it does not impact your life (in the sense that you don't have enough energy and feel the need to constantly eat).  

• Posted

I had my iodine levels tested last summer and they are normal.  Thank you!  It does impact my life because NONE of my clothes fit and I feel like people look at me, wondering if I'm unwell, or why I'm so thin....if they only knew!  I do use a calorie tracker and aim for close to 2800 (can't go over 3000.....my stomach is not that big!)

Thanks for the idea!

• Posted

I thought I'd share a recipe of nut-date bars. They are gluten and dairy free and we use them as a quick energy boost when outdoors or travelling. The bars are rich in minerals and contain about 15% protein, 40% carbohydrates, 25% fats, 7% fibre.   

Ingredients: 500 g dates (roughly chopped), 500 g raw nuts (almonds and pistachios, also roughly chopped).

1) Mix the dates and nuts and place them in a freezer bag.

2) Microwave on medium power (400 Watts) for about 2-3 minutes. The mixture should be warm/hot to the touch but make sure not to burn it.  Check after each minute and microwave a little bit longer if needed. 

3) Knead the mixture carefully so that the bag does not burst. The dates should become pasty and the nuts should be evenly distributed. 

4) Form into a flat rectangle and place the bag in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. 

5) With a sharp knife cut the date-nut mixture into small bars and wrap individually using cling film or cellophane.  

• Posted

Lovely!  I'll try this one!

Thank you

• Posted

Hey, I like the date nut mixture. I am going to try it! 

Thanks, Dan R 👍🏼

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.