Need help understanding the symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I am 37 and have been in the middle of a living for the past couple of months.  It started at work where out of the blue I had a wave of warmth rush over me with pins and needles up my arm and chest.  I thought i was about to collapse until I regained my breath minutes later.  I went to the ER where they ran an ECG and some blood work.  They told me I was fine and not to worry.  Since then,. I am constantly feeling strange physical symptoms, such as:

numbness in my arms and legs

facial numbness and twitching

Chest pains and tightness

dizzy and lightheaded

rapid heart beat

heart flutters and palps

Dry mouth

metallic taste in my mouth

tremendous ear pressure and ringning 

and many others

I have had numerous visits to the ER.  4 ecg's, an echocardiogram, a stress test and countless blood work ups.  All have come back normal.  I get some or all of these symptoms daily and not sure what to do, and i feel like I'm in limbo.  I have never had anxiety prior to this, to my knowledge, and I'm having trouble understanding.  Is it normal for anxiety suffers to feel symptoms everyday?  As much as i want to accept it, i feel like i want to run to the ER every time I have a symptom in case they have missed something. Can anyone help because I am starting to feel so hopeless.

4 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi George. 

I get everything you have put on there I am currently having really bad heart palps. I have extra beats and waiting on a cardiologist appointment. I've had one before and told me it was anxiety but hey I can't help but worry it's awful it's amazing what our brains can do to us if yiu wanna chat about anything inbox me I have had MRI scans on my head too for pins and needles came back fine.. Had them for months now I've moved into another symptom and it's more sentisised your not alone. Xx

• Posted

It is defiantly anxiety George and yes people suffer on a daily basis,,,some suffer all day every day and others suffer just in vervain situations. The good news is that it is very treatable.

You haven't mentioned is or not you have been given any medication for it but if not I would recommend that you do try and combat it yourself before jumping the gun. Exercise is great for burning off excess adrenalin. Learning some deep breathing teqniques and meditation are all very beneficial. 

Also,do not allow it to stop you doing anything because that's when it's becoming more serious,when you start avoiding certain situations or places "in case" you feel anxiety. 

There is a saying " feel the fear and do it anyway" and that's what I am trying to do because I even though I'm not finding much pleasure in these things at the minute,that doesn't mean that I never will.

I take medication also but I really do wish I hadn't gone down that road. As I did I may as we'll stick it out and see if they help but I have given myself a 3 month marker and if I've not seen vast improvements by then,I will be tapering off and trying to figure this  on my own xx

• Posted

Thanks Gillian.  I have not look into meds but was thinking of something for when the symptoms get bad. I really want to try it on my own without meds but not sure if I can.  Just when I think I'm feeling fine I get an attack out of the blue or atleast some symptoms and my mind starts fixating on them. 
  • Posted

Hi George, 

It does sound like anxiety. If for u can tolerate it please make taking any medication your last resort.  I had my anxiety under control until I took some meds prescribed by my Dr.  I only took one pill and my life seemed to have turned upside down. I was very determined to get back to my normal  self....so I started to do my own research on anxiety and the physical symptoms associated with anxiety. Once I learned that it helped me tremendously. One thing I notice is the more you dwell on what's going on with your body the worse the condition gets and it sstarts to linger. I hope this helps and I hope you feel better.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hey George,

I have been dealing with things like this for a bit now and it is messing with my mind constantly. I have had 6 EKGs done, 2 echocardiograms, and blood tests. No matter what I do I always feel like my heart will stop and I still have chest pain. Doctors say my heart is very healthy but I still think something is wrong. I just try to focus on the reasons how a heart could stop and how they have checked me for everything and they say my heart is healthy. Going down a list and ruling out everything makes me feel better. Good luck, and if the doctors say your heart is fine, your heart is fine.

• Posted

Thanks Brandon.  I agree I really need to start believing the docs and understand my heart has checked out fine. I usually do until I get one of my symptoms and throw all logic out the window. It's so frustrating.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.