Need reassurance on Citalopram!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi !

I'm 22 years old and have struggling with anxiety for months now so my doctor has put me on 20mg of citalopram . I didn't hesitate to take them as I just wanted anything to help me feel better!

I'm on day 3 and I know they take time to work but iv experienced extremely bad nausea and now I'm suffering for the "spaced out" feeling ! It's awful it feels like your in a dream and not living in this would !!

I just want some reassurance as to how long roughly I will have these side effects and will I see a bright future for me?

Help! X

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

*world
    • Posted

Hi Kimberley,

I thin kit only took me a couple of weeks to adjust to taking the Citilopram.  If it's too awful, ask your doc if you can start off with 10mg for a few weeks and then go up to the 20mg.  They would usually rather you do that than give up initially as I threatened to do!  Everyone's reaction to the drug is going to be slightly different too.  Hope it does the trick for you though - I've found it a good prop to get through bad times. :-)

• Posted

Hi Kimberley, you will be like this while you body adjusts to the medication but u will get there and it does take about 6 - 8 weeks but so worth it when you stay strong you will be well again, please join us over on the chat Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram? as so many folk on there are at all different stages of thaking CIT and we all are similar, so your not alone and you will get well, I got back to my old self after 6weeks but so worth the journey to get there, but everone is different.

Take care and do join us as more regular contact and support over there Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?

Anne smile

• Posted

This is my first day on 10mg and I'm struggling with my anxiety bad. I'm trying to think positive, but it's tough. I just wish it worked faster! My ruminating thoughts always get the best of me.
    • Posted

If you're thinking bad thoughts, either put on some happy music and SING along to it (you can't sing and think bad things at the same time) or go for a brisk walk and count your steps as you go, but only up to say 10 at a time and then keep repeating.  Keep it simple, but keep your mind busy.  Tricks from a lovely CBT therapist that I saw at my doctors.

Good luck! :-)

• Posted

Thanks for replying! I definitely will try both. I have heard exercise helps anxiety as it releases endorphins. I slept pretty bad last night...is that a common side effect? I woke up pretty much every hour. I'm so tired today. Day 2...hopefully side effects aren't any different.
    • Posted

Hi Leahandrea,

I was on 10mg for 3 weeks before switching to 20mg recomended by my GP, now Im on week 7. It can be frustrating waiting for it to work but I must say, its worth the wait.

The change from 10 to 20 made a massive difference to the way I thought and how I was feeling. More positive than negativesmile

Yes insomnia or sleepless nights is a common side effect, but it should slowly diminish over time. If not see your GP

Good luck and hang in there smile

• Posted

Hello,

I recently started on 10 mg of Citalopram and am currently on day 10.  For the first few days I had to take visitaril at night to help because when I took the citalopram I became more anxious and nervous.  After the third night I did start sleeping better and by the 5th day I felt more clear headed and I was less anxious through out the day.  I still am noticing some anxiety around 11pm at night when I start to lay down for bed, but I am thinking of taking 20mg to see if that will help control it day and night.  Try to stick with the medication and remember it get's a little worse before it gets better.  Good luck with everything

• Posted

Hi Kimberley,

I also suffer from Anxiety and am on 20mgs. Took me about 3-4 weeks for Cit to work

And for most of the side effects, Nausea, headaches, sleepless nights etc to subside. I am now on week 7 and it has been a real life saver.

I still feel anxious or worried at times but that quickly passes and is no way near as bad as when I first started taking Cit.

I am extremely happy with the progress I have made and can finally get my life back on track.

Hang in there it's worth the wait smile

Regards Marcel

• Posted

Hi Kimberley

Sorry you're going through all the negative side effects. I did too and believe me it gets better and there is no looking back after that! Try to eat well during this time, and do as much exercise as you can. Before you know it, you should feel like you did before the anxiety came along, back to your normal self.

Good luck and stay strong x

• Posted

Hi Kimberley,

I agree with Holly. Its important to eat healthy and incorporate some sort of routine like exercising. Stick with it and you will be yourself again in no time smilesmile

• Posted

Hi Kimberley,

i have been on Cit for about 5months now. I started on 20mg which was too overpowering and I struggled to function. I moved to 10mg quite quickly and it was much better for me (we are all different). I'm fully functioning now, and have also just finished 6 weeks of therapy which was very positive. The main side effects have been sleeping, dry mouth, sex drive and at first struggling to go to toilet. I have found that exercise has helped a lot and Im now a keen runner. I know its scary at first but it gets easier from my experience and I'm looking forward. Any other questions just ask.

• Posted

Thanks for replying kimberley93403!

Today wasn't too bad. I had mild anxiety towards the afternoon and I'm feeling slight indigestion, but that's about it, thank God! I think I'll stay on the 10mg until I build up a blood level and then up my dose if need be. I'm exhausted from waking up all night. Hopefully tonight is better!! :-)

• Posted

Has anyone else experienced sensitivity to light with citaprolam? My pupils are really dilated and the sun is killing my eyes! I'm hoping this is only temporary!
  • Posted

Hey, I hope this helps.....I've been on citalopram for a year now. Like you my anxiety was through the roof after my mum died it was making me ill. I put off taking it but I wouldn't look back now. I had a few weeks of increased anxiousness and feeling sick but I knew it was the tablets. Keep on with them try and relax when you can and you'll be fine!! I hear a lot if negatives about citalopram but it's helped me so much. I still get anxious when I'm out if my comfort zone, but I think it's a habit more than anything. Keep going! X
    • Posted

Thanks rose13x . I have a constant fear of eating out in public or big meals cos I'm scared I'm going to be sick because I was ill on holiday infront of everyone so I'm scared it's going to happen all the time!!

Hopefully these tablets will help me not care about all these things as that's the main thing ruling my life! X

• Posted

Citaloprams commonly prescribed for OCD things like that and has helped me stop over analysing everything. I'm on 20mg and started on 10mg. It does take a few months to properly work but keep going! A friend of mine had a major phobia of being sick to the point she wouldn't drink alcohol or go near someone who was ill from fear if being sick,she had NLP and she's completely cured even flew half way around the world,look into it as it works wonders and isn't just masking the problem with medication! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.