Need reassurance on Citalopram!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi !

I'm 22 years old and have struggling with anxiety for months now so my doctor has put me on 20mg of citalopram . I didn't hesitate to take them as I just wanted anything to help me feel better!

I'm on day 3 and I know they take time to work but iv experienced extremely bad nausea and now I'm suffering for the "spaced out" feeling ! It's awful it feels like your in a dream and not living in this would !!

I just want some reassurance as to how long roughly I will have these side effects and will I see a bright future for me?

Help! X

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please try to stick with them.  The side effects are nasty, as you are finding, but believe me it will be worthwhile in the end.  I was one of the unlucky ones who suffered side effects for 6-8 weeks but when they kicked in I felt amazing.  However after coming off them and restarting taking them again several years later my side effects lasted about a month or so.  At the time it seems never ending but after that month you will think thank goodness I stuck with itt
  • Posted

Hi,

I have been on Cipramil 20mg for about 3 years. When I initially  took them first,  I had extreme anxiety and was not coping too well. But rest assured they DO WORK... you have to be patient, they could take 6-8 weeks to get the full benefit. It is important to take them the same time every day.

Mike 

• Posted

Hi Kimberley smile 

On 20mg a day for last 3 months. I was worried about the side effects when I read the label at the start but the only side effects I have still are citalopram was fatigue on a big scale despite lots of sleeping. At the start, I was getting abnormal dreams and had restless sleep but severe insomnia was part of the reason I went on it and the abnormal dreams went away straight after my exams, so it could have just been stress. I had asked my pharmacist about it when I went to get a repeat prescription, she said it was worth mentioning to my doc. but to wait 'till after exams in case the symptoms went away and they did so haven't mentioned it to my doc.

I did notice the tabs starting to work a couple of weeks in, although I found therapy more helpful and once I stopped I went downhill again a bit and I'm going to get more therapy soon. 

Overall though, apart from the tiredness, I have found the citalopram fine to take.

I didn't get nausea/headaches etc. like some people did so I guess I was lucky.  .. . Oh, I forgot, I did get depersonalisation at the start which went away within about 2 weeks. That wasn't nice but it wasn't too bad either.

I guess it all comes to a toss up between benefits and side effects. But DO try and stay on past the initial side effects because you will only see benefits about 2 weeks insmile It's worth it! 

Hope this helps!! 

anonymousgirl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.