need some advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi guys

i have been on this a few weeks now and my intrusive thoughts seem to be getting better.  I still have moments and days i just feel so down etc but I am definately not as bad as I was. 

I was having really horrible intrusive thought that included harming my children.  anytime they annoyed me and sometimes when they still do i feel a knot in my stomach as i dont want to start thinking horrible things etc.

The reason i am on today is my husband wants us to have a baby.

I too would like this but part of me feels terrified because what if i i have a baby and dont love it etc? i panic i wont want it or that i have the horrible thought and what if because i am so tired etc i actually do something?

Do you think i am overreacting or should i not have a baby incase my anxiety ruins it or ruins me?

Thanks

Gill

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Aw, i'm pleased you are feeling a little bit better as time goes on, but it sounds like it's still early days in your recovery to be making big decisions like another baby. It's a big decision for anyone never mind someone with anxiety or depression. Does your husband understand and support how you are feeling? Could you not just say can we have another talk in say 2 or 3 months time when i am feeling stronger? Even discussing it might be a bit premature while you are still a bit up and down, would he understand that?
    • Posted

Hi Tracie

thanks for your reply, yes he is very supportive i think cause he can see the difference thats why the subject has came back up again. I think you guys are all right though i think i should wait a while as the thought of a relapse etc just freaks me the hell out xxxxx

• Posted

I would definitely wait my anxiety got really bad when I was pregnant it was all the hormones messing with my brain it subsided a little after having her but it is so stressful having a new one , I would focus on getting yourself better first before you even consider it it's hard work having a baby as you know Hun, it wouldn't be fair to you or a baby x 
    • Posted

yeah totally i think because i know how hard it is with a new baby i think thats why i am a bit freaked out by it all.  I would really like a baby but i think i will wait a bit and make sure im totally over this episode before thinking about it again xxxx
  • Posted

Dear Gillian,

I am so pleased that your medication seems to be working and that you are feeling better 😊 

As it is only early days I think it may be best for you to wait a while before trying for another baby.  Just because it might be a bit too much for you just yet.

Maybe after you have been on the medication for longer and you are feeling a lot better then think about it.  Can you still take the meds if you become pregnant ?

Lots of love x

• Posted

Hi Tina, im not sure if i can still take meds im on citalopram and propanodol il need to look into that.  Im going to wait a few months then see how i feel.  in a way i think i can do it but ive got this fear that i start feeling bad etc again if that makes sense. me and my husband dont have kids of our own between us our kids are from previous marriages.  I would like to have that bond if that makes sense.  when i had my children to my ex husband i didnt really think bout it and just got on with it but this time i am going over everything so i dont know if i am thinking to much into it?  xxxxx
  • Posted

many people have unwanted babies.  Make sure your decision is the right one especially if you are not coping so well.

Richard

• Posted

The decision about a baby is definitely between you and hubby, but I am certain that if you are fortunate to become pregnant and you discuss your concerns with your GP and midwife you will get a lot of support pre and post natal. Health professionals and services post natal are fantastic so hope that helps as you certainly won't be left to fend for yourself. In mean time enjoy the baby making "Practice"! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.