Need Some Advice and Encouragement!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've finally decided to post, in hopes I can get some advice and encouragement from those that have done this before. I'm 46, just had a partial RKR on July 3rd. My surgery was at 3pm, so no food or drink after mid night. I was starving and thirsty before even having surgery! Surgery went well. Came home the same day. Dr. Gave me a script for dilaudid and Robaxin. I guess dilaudid because I had told him I couldn't take hydrocodone, Percocet etc., because it makes me dizzy and vomit. Anyway, I had pretty bad knee pain and was taking the dilaudid 4mg, every 3 hours. I would add in the roboxin occasionally but it made me dizzy and nauseous so I didn't take it very often. From Monday until I think Thursday or Friday-it's all a blur, I took about 30 dilaudid. I was only eating enough to take my meds then back to bed. I deceived to stop taking them and then the next day or so used extra strength Tylenol etc. Ate better, then I started having withdrawal symptoms from the dilaudid. Twitching, feeling really bad etc. This lasted about 3 days. I was tempted to go back on them, just to taper off. While I was off the dilaudid, I was eating fairly regularly. Long story short, I was conctipated from the pain meds and over 2-3 days was impacted and absolutely miserable. I haven't slept or anything. Dr recommended magnesium citrate, finally worked yesterday, I was so back up, and this morning I get the shakes and heart palpitations and I'm dehydrated!! I've had more problems with everything else and not much pain with my knee. I have no appetite but I'm trying to eat something in order to keep my bowels and stuff moving. I am feeling very down and I know it's very early for me at 9 days, but I'm praying for strength to get through each day. Every time I lay down to sleep, my body will twitch due to the dehydration so I'm not getting much sleep... please give me some advice on how to get through this!!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am just about 7 months post op for TKR. My first three months were horrible. The pain did not let up and although I was on pain meds ( first hydrocodone and then oxycodone). Slowly, it got better. I started driving ( can't drive with opioids) and felt like the independence was a miracle. I could go out alone. Just me and my cane!  Still, sleeping is not easy. I sometimes get so stiff that it takes a while to straighten out. At my six month appointment I still had some swelling and aches.  I was put on Celebrex for inflammation and told to take naproxen.  I ignore my aches, walk my pup each day and ride my stationary bike for an hour each day. This forum saved me. I learned that although I thought I was prepared, I was not ready for the brutality ( good description, Chico) of the surgery and the recovery.  Ice, do your exercises and read a few trashy novels. It will get better. It just takes time.  Keep in touch with the forum.  Someone is always listening. 

Eat some ice cream!

Ellie

• Posted

Thank you Ellie! I, too am glad I found this forum. I only wish I would have found it BEFORE my surgery. It's reassuring to hear others having the same issues and knowing you are not alone. I love hearing others advice that are experienced in this!! Take care!

• Posted

and of course everyone come on over!  I asked the question - What do you wish you had known before your TKR? 
    • Posted

I wish that I had found this forum and did my research!! They make a partial sound like a walk in the park, and I can't compare to a TKR, but this is no walk in the park. I was not emotionally prepared for the sleeplessness and the slow process. Definitely learning patience during this! The ups and downs, emotionally, physically, psychologically, etc., I was ill prepared for. Thank goodness I stumbled upon this site! It has helped and encouraged me so much! ??

• Posted

Rudonna, you're only 2 weeks, you still have to recover from anesthetic and pain meds. I remember watching the Tour de France all night because I couldn't sleep. You will get through this, at a month you will feel better, good food, lots of water, and decrease the opioids. Ibuprofen worked for me. My first knee, RTKR was June 16, 2014. LTKR Sept 17, 2014. RTHR July 27, 2016. All good, do as much Physical Therapy as you can, I did a year at 3 times a week with the knees, it makes all the difference, you can't do this alone. I walk (the dog) every day, he won't take no for an answer, part of my Support Group! Good luck, work hard at your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.