Need some advice on Citralopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

For almost a year now I have been suffering from Anxiety and have refused to take the Cit the doctors have been pushing my way, thinking I could deal with it on my own and scared of the side effects I would have if I took then, had a bad experience years ago with a diffrent anti-depressent, but now after 11 months I know I can't, I still wound up so easy and start panicing for anything and everything. So today I have decided to start them and try and get ME back not this person that exists and goes through the motions of life. Anyway what I was wanting to know is when would be the best time to take, when I get up in the morning or at night before bed. Any help would be greatly appriecated x

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't be scared of taking the tablets! They will give you your life back like they did mine smile

I take it every morning normally unless I forget and then have to take it later on that day or whenever I remember. 

You will feel strange at the begining (I did myself and it was a bit scary) but it is worth it. And if you feel different after taking it remember it's supposed to smile OR start with a quarter of a tablet and then increase the dose to half after a week etc that's what I did the second time when on cit which I still am, but have started cuming off by refucing the dose to 3 quarters of a 20mg tablet. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying to me, I was never scared of tablets untill my anxiety started and then I started thinking the doctors were trying to poison me or just shut me up, they want me to start of on 10mg once a day to begin with, I think your idea of taking half a tablet to begin with sound like a good idea I might try that smile.
    • Posted

Your welcome and yes, start with half a tablet or even a quarter. And anyways it will only be about 2 to 3 weeks until it's in your system and you won't feel any different then smile 
  • Posted

I take mine before bed as prescribed by doc to help me sleep hope this helps
    • Posted

yes leigh anne they have helped me to be able to sleep again, and truly have been a godsend, i put up with the anxiety like you , just til i couldnt do it anymore..i too was a little timid on taking them but i did it anyway cause i really needed to be me again! honeslty the side effects were minimal for me , mostly a headache when i first started and an antsy feeling , i have started walking 5 km a day and getting out more and was able to sleep again. i started on 10 mg and have just recently increased to 20 mg because it wasnt a strong enough dosage for me at 10 mg after a while you will be able to see if its enough or not. oh also found i napped alot , i guess i must have needed the naps i was really played out from fighting with the anxiety for so long on my own, best of luck

• Posted

Thank you, I think it's time to bite the bullet and do it, I am not panicing 24/7 like I was, but my whole body is exhausted and I seem to be picking up everything thats going. one thing I've learnt is you should deal with things when they happen and not keep going and look after everyone else, i nap alot through the day and am able to fall asleep at night now but for a long long time I was scared to sleep as I convinced myself I wouldn't wake up in the morning.
  • Posted

Morning. Cit gave me anxiety. Could you try Lexapro instead? V similar you know
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for replying. The doctor gave me a choice of Cit or Ser, the other one was from a co called seroxat and I refused them as I had a bad experience with them 18 years ago
  • Posted

Beware of insomnia. I couldn't hack it. Even with benzos
    • Posted

Thats one of the things I'm not looking forward to, I spent a long long time being scared to go to sleep as I had convinced myself I wouldn't wake up in the morning.
  • Posted

Hello Leigh-Anne. I was the same way about taking meds and my anxiety is like yours afraid of everything and dying. I started taking cit a yr ago in November  side effects didn't last to long started to feel better but then started getting so tired and emotionless I feel like a zombie I am on 40 mg. anxiety is still there but not as bad. But from other posts I've seen I'm wondering if the meds are giving me the anxiety so I'm now weening myself off of them. Going the natural route. I'm not trying to discourage you  or give anxiety attack. But try some counseling to and excersise or walking ,keeping busy is the best thing and it relieves the panic. And I want you to know NOTHiNG is gonna happen to you. You will be okay that's something we have to keep telling ourselves. Don't force yourself to do things you aren't comfortable with start out slow.you will be okay!!!!!!!  I also got the book anxiety for dummies and reading that has helped to. You have a support system HERE and don't be afraid to contact me that's why we are all on here.Take care of yourself and I wish ya the best
  • Posted

Hi Leigh-Anne

I suffered for about 10 years from severe depression and anxiety and it wasn't until I was out on Citalopram that I actually recovered.  I couldn't believe it!  I got my life back.  I've been well for 15 years now.

Dont be scared to take tablets.  You'd take them if you had epilepsy or diabetes, and anxiety is no different.  Be warned though that you will get worsening anxiety and other awful side effects for a few weeks, but get through those and you'll find it so worth it.  Everybody gets these side effects, they're quite normal.

I was advised to take my meds in the morning, which won't interfere with disturbed sleep as much, but some people prefer to take them in the evening as they find they get sleepy in the day.  Everyone's different, and you'll find is best for you.

Remember to accept anything that's thrown at you on this medication, treat each day one at a time, persevere through the nasty side effects, they'll ease off, and you'll come through the other side.  It takes a long time for recovery (months, not weeks), so don't expect wonders immediately.  They will work for you, and you will get 'you' back again.  I did, and I thought I was a lost cause :-)

Best wishes

K xx

• Posted

Hi,

Just remember that citalopram effects are differant for everyone. Citalopram (Cit) is apparently the one recommended by NICE as the first go to medication.

I was tearfull every morning, I became *very* angry and was moved on to Mirtazepene. I'm now on Venlafaxine...

I would also p[oint out that exercise and diet are also vitally important in recovery.

• Posted

Hi.. I've been on Sertraline for just over 5 weeks (50mg) and have noticed some positive changes although I still get very anxious at times! One problem I still have is not being able to sleep and was wondering if Citalopram is better in that respect?

Would it be true to say the two (Serts & Cit) are similar in many ways? Certainly they seem to be used more than most. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.