Need some advice please!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay so I suffer from anxiety and I hate walking places and going out especially on my own. And in about an hour I have to walk to the doctors by myself it's about a 20 minute walk. Anyone got any advice if I start to feel really anxious or panicky when walking??

0 likes, 22 replies

Report / Delete

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Text your friends and family members, or make a call. It can help

Think about the happier moments in your life, and try to get back to those. It's hard but you can do it.

Think about the happier moments in your life, and try to get back to those. It's hard but you can do it.

If you need anything, keep posting on this forum or send me a PM. 

All the best.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was thinking of maybe sticking my head phones in and listening to some upbeat music.. And the fact I'm going to the doctors is motivating because if I do get really anxious I can tell them when I get there. And thank you I appreciate it! X
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've found that calling someone whilst walking helps even if you don't tell them that you're doing it so you don't hae anxiety but just talk about general things. Also not focusing on your thoughts and try and be mindful of your walk i.e. focus on the sounds you hear or the different things you see and explore them in detail to stop your mind from wondering. I'e tried this and it definitely works. Good luck!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you. I don't know why I let it bother me so much. Millions of people walk around everyday on there own so I know I can do it! Just don't want my legs to go all jelly and feel spaced out like last time!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Use an ipod on your walk. Put on your facorite music or an audiobook. Bring a cup of ice chips with you. Every few minutes place an ice cold ice chip under yout tingue. This will deter your mind to focus on the coldness. Or take a cab.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks they are good ideas! And no not getting a taxi or else I'll never get out the house.. I've got to walk to prove to myself I can beat my anxiety smile or if not beat it atleast deal with it
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you. Everything went fine. I walked there and walked back. And then went out for another walk for about 40 minutes on the night with my boyfriend. The doctors said I've lost a lot of weight and that's causing a lot of anxiety I'm 18 and I weigh 7.2 stone at the moment.. Just got to concentrate on sorting myself out now x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you. Unfortunately I've lost a lot of weight and doctor thinks that is adding to my anxiety. I'm 18 years old and at Christmas I weighed 8.5 stone and I know weigh 7.3. Not good !
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Went well thanks. Had my head phones in the sun beating down on me. Once you get out there it's like I felt anxious of course but what's the worst that can happen? Once you step out that comfort zone even a tiny bit you are a tiny bit closer to over coming anxiety. I've just booked in for my first therapy assessment in March which I am 100% willing too try, I want to get my life back and actually start living! Bring on the future.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm 18 I need to start looking for jobs again and start a good healthy life. This forum is good because I may not know anyone but I feel it's a lot easier to talk about your problems when you don't know the people and the people don't know you. Forums give people the hope they need x
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up