Need some advise please

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to see my doctor with mild depression and anxiety. I do not have constant anxiety, just spells of it. I was started on Citilapram 20mg and I am having terrible side effects especially anxiety - which I am having difficulty coping with. I have only been on it 4 days, I took 20mg for 3 days and 10mg for 1 day ( my doctor advised me to reduce the dose if I had problems ). I am definitely going to stop taking it as it is affecting my life and I cant wait 3 weeks for it to kick in especially as I wasn't that bad before. My question is because I have only been on it a short time do I just stop or reduce it gradually?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would say as you've only been on them for 4 days it will be ok to just stop. 

• Posted

I started on 10mg citolopram and after a week I was put on 20 mg,I have been on 2mg 3 weeks and still feel no different,but the doctor did say the first 3-4 weeks will probably make you feel worse before they kick in properly and start making you feel better.
  • Posted

I've been on Citalopram for 35 days. I started at 20 mg and moved up to 40 on day 28 on the Mrs. My anxiety has definitely increased since starting the med but I've heard from most people that, thath is the norm for this led (and many other SSRI unfortunately). If you can get through the first two weeks you'll be passed the initial side effects and can really tell if the med is starting to work. I hope you try to stick with it for a few more weeks!!! I always taper when going off SSRIs to avoid any withdrawal effects.

• Posted

I think u jumb from 10 to 20 so fast

however, u need to be pation

take Dizepam to help u with anxiety , it really work with me and helped me to complet the medcation until it works

don't be afried , it will work and sied effect will disappear gradually

I think u need to rethink about stoping it

• Posted

Count yourself lucky your only four days in. I took it for five weeks and

if this drug doesn't suit you it is horrific. I went cold turkey, every day is a

fight against the anxiety but at least I'm not a zombie with suicidal thoughts

- which funnily enough I didn't have before taking these.

Don't put anymore in your system it will clear out in a week.

Citalopram is a national scandal waiting to explode.

It is no coincidence it is one of the most visted forums.

Exercise, self hypnosis apps and tons of guts. Anxiety won't go away

overnight but everyday is another day.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Colin.

In the end I went back to the doctor and she said it was ok just to stop as I had only been taking them a short time. I already feel much better, still light headed and dizzy and occasional bouts of anxiety, but hopefully when its fully out of my system they will become even less and I'll be back to how I was before I started taking them. She also recommended some therapy groups that I will try.

I agree what you say about Citalopram - I cannot believe how it made me feel and I wish I'd never taken it. Its ok people telling you to stick with it, but when you want to stop taking it you'll have to go through all the horrible symptoms again.

Dr prescribed me prozac which I have taken before and had no side effects.

Are you taking any meds at the moment ?

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Beest thanks for your reply hope you are well sorry it's taken four days

to write back.

When I went back to the doctor to tell of the experience of citalopram

he was well clued up- O aye he prescibed Setraline with 21 diazepam

as breakthrough !!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a read of the patient leaflet and decided no thanks I'll struggle on.

Four weeks on im having some bad days but the good ones are becoming

more frequent.

Don't get me wrong the amount of times I've had the tablets in my hand

thinking there must be an easier way than this.

The hardest thing I've found with coping with anxiety and recovery is I

wanted to see improvement every day. What I do four weeks on is look

and say do I feel better than last week especially looking at a really bad

day I had.

I use relaxation apps. Again takes time for the body and mind to retrain how

to relax stick with it.

Stay anti depressant free and keep fighting.

All the best my friend and stay strong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.