Need some guidance

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I posted earlier that I am going to be taken my first 45 mg dose of Mirtazapine. I am currently on 30 mg. I have extreme anxiety and probably depression lol. I have always been terrified of medications until family forced me to take them and mirtazapine helps. But I had a loss in my family and it was traumatic and I can't seem to cope very well. So My psychiatrist upped my medication to 45 mg. I am very scared to take it, but I want to at the same time. Just need some reassurance. I am afraid that it will make me feel so groggy like it did when i first started and that it will slow my breathing down when im asleep and make me die. (haha im scaring myself with my anxious what if thoughts).

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Mirt has to my knowledge never caused anyone's breathing to slow down and die :-)  

A loss in the family is tramatic for anyone and grieving takes time.  So the current dose of mirt didn't help you cope?  How was it performing before the loss?   How long ago was the loss?  Did you receive any grief counceling?  Meds should not be a stand-alone solution.  If you haven't done any work to deal wth your grief, you might start there, as doing so may bring you back to a level where the 30 mg mirt is enough.

There are lots of online resources for self-help, and all you have to do is a web search for "grief self help."

Mirt is a very tough drug to come off of should the need ever arise, so I'd try some alternatives to help you process your grief before upping the dose.  And grieving takes time.  We want to run from our pain and do anything to make it stop, but sometimes the quickest resolution comes from doing the work to bring us to acceptance.  Just my humble opinion :-)

I wish you peace :-)

• Posted

Hi, I too started on 45mg Mirtazapine last night having been on 30mg for around 10/11 weeks with no real success, except for improved sleep.

It would be good to stay in touch with regards to how the change affects us!

• Posted

Great idea to keep in touch with another person who is switching to 45 at the same time. From all I've read mirt at 45mg is not any more advantageous than at 30 and most people do have trouble with that dosage but im not saying that because I think you actually would die in your sleep or anything. I don't but for some reason mirt at 30 is about as good as you will get out of it. But I would try that and know, ok so I tried it and it worked! Great! 

But if you try it and don't feel so much better might be better to go back to 30mg. 

Mirt works better actually at lower dosages ..weird but true for the majority. 

But if we are still depressed or go through a rough patch doctors raise the mirt. 

Good luck and the best thing is to keep posting and keep,in touch with others and im sorry for your loss ...hope you can find a soft place to fall. Best of luck 

• Posted

So i was too scared to take 45 mg last night and did 30 mg. I just get so scared that itll make me feel different idk.
    • Posted

That's ok 1254smit, there is no rush.  Please look into some guided meditations online.  Maybe there are some links if you do a search here on Patient.  It really can help with stress and depression.  I think you need some self care now.  Some other things that can help are taking a bath with epsom salt; the magnesium actually absorbs into the skin and helps with relaxation, good for anxiety.  You can also take magnesium orally; I prefer the chelated versions such as magnesium glycinate, because they don't cause laxative effects.  2 g of fish oil a day can help, too.  Nurture yourself, be kind to yourself, no judgement or harshness.  You deserve it biggrin
    • Posted

Maybe the best move to stay 30. Tablets aren't the only answer to grief depression or anxiety

So many different ways to go about feeling better in particular just voicing it. I like all the ideas Betsy has to offer. Sometime we believe there is a magic pill and although it might help many, sometimes it falls short.

Life style changes, mindfulness eat the right foods exercise possibly taking some supplements ( pharm drugs tend to strip our bodies of vitamins and minerals )

Talking about your grief and trying to get some sunshine lol. ( if available )

Try to stick to a schedule if possible the body/ mind seems to like consistency it helps me

I know I've forgotten other things that help but I think best not to go to high on Mirt. I'm sure some have been helped at higher doses but in the last year I've not read many ... If any

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.