Need some help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've suffered with severe clinical depression for several years now and possible Bipolar disorder. I was referred to a psychiatrist around a year ago, who I have to see once every week. I've only ever been on Sertraline, in which they have now taken me off of due to it not working. They are going to try me on different medicines. However, I have not seen my psychiatrist for 5 weeks now and I'm left on no tablets whatsoever. I am really struggling, my mood is just constantly up and down, making things difficult at home. Also, I am finding myself very angry, irritable and have a temper. I just feel completely depressed and have hit rock bottom. Overall, I just don't feel as though life is worth living anymore and I haven't for a long time , except now I feel lower than ever. I don't have anyone I can call or go see so I don't know what to do. Does anyone know what I could do to get help from someone? I know I need it, but don't know how to get it or where from. Thanks. 

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

are you in the UK? Your local NHS authority will have whats called "crisis" mental health team, look it up online and you'll find a number for them. They will listen to you and give help needed
  • Posted

I'm shocked that you have been left for that amount of time! You poor thing. I agree with the other reply about a crisis team. You will no doubt get more replies.  This is a very friendly and helpful forum. 
  • Posted

you also need get back on your meds asap, your GP or even local pharmicist would help
    • Posted

I thought this too, but they won't let me as they want to try me on something new as the old wasn't working. But because my psychiatrist hasn't been in contact and I am unable to get hold of her, I'm not too sure what I am to do with no contact nor tablets, thankyou for your help though
    • Posted

You need to go and see your gp. They will get in touch with your psych. Terrible just to leave you. 
    • Posted

I did wonder if I should see my GP, just wasn't sure whether it would actually help in anyway. I will try and see one for today, thank you. 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for the help and advice, I appreciate it smile
  • Posted

Hi Jodie, where do you live? Have you got any family or friends near you? I know you say you have nobody who you can call or go to see but is this because there is no one or because they would not understand or help?
    • Posted

I have family around as I'm still 17 but they don't know how to help and also don't quite understand the situation fully
    • Posted

A few suggestions, please do not get upset if they are not suitable for you. I did ask where you live and you did not tell me so if you are in the UK you can ring the Samaritans , a good place to ring is NO PANIC on their phone helpline for free too.
    • Posted

Hi Jodie,

Hope you get an appointment with your GP even if you cannot there must be a out of hours one.Please try to insist you get help you cannot just be left like that,and as Carmel had said you can ring Samaritans who listen and are not judgemental just to explain to a stranger and sure they will suggest you get o a GP

Good Luck.

• Posted

The Samaritans are not supposed to give advice or make suggestions or judge. A lot of them do, a lot of my clients have rung them and complained about this to me, but they arenot supposed to.
    • Posted

No I do know that all I said was they might suggest have you spoken to a GP. I know they just listen,and do not say as much as perhaps we say like go to your GP. 
    • Posted

Once a patient has been referred to a psychiatrist etc thepatient does not go back to the doctor. The doctor has passed them on. Same as if you have a broken foot and you see someone again it is the consultant who deals with feet.
  • Posted

Have you managed to get an appointment with your gp? You must tell your doctor that you need to see your psych again. You need some medication starting today so it can get in your system. Let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Know you mean well Kat but that is not how the system works. Probably has medication already and they have probably heard it all before many times, nobody suddenly gets like that for the first time. They already know how the person is. The best that happens if you contact your gp is that they refer you back to the psychiatrist, which may take a week or longer, and most already have an appointment for that anyway. Most also have an emergency number to ring or a support worker to contact.

In case of being very anxious it is better to ring NO PANIC the charity that speaks on the phoned to you when you feel like that, they know how to speak to such people, the are trained to, I used to train them. You can find them online.

• Posted

Carmel, do you work in mental health or have suffered with it?
    • Posted

Yes Kat work in it, would not give an opinion otherwise.
    • Posted

Sometimes it helps to talk to people who have actually suffered with depression/anxiety because they know how that person feels. I know it helps me and that's why I keep up to date with this forum. Your wise words help as well. But unless you've actually suffered you can't know how we really feel. 
    • Posted

That is so true kat unless you have worn the shoes or even still wearing them, GP or mental health workers sometimes have not been there,if you have a broken arm one can see it poor you but when you look fine they  do not know what is going on inside.
    • Posted

And you all feel different. But you are wrong, I have had depression and anxiety in the past so I do know what its like to suffer with this. I have made sure I am fine now and help many others with it now. If you live in the UK you can ring NO PANIC - I used to train their volunteers and it is free to ring them. Each of them set aside eight hours a week to take these calls from their home, many of them have had the same problems themselves. Of course it would not be fair or practical to expect them to be available every day or for more hours so this way it works. The samaritans will also take your call but each of their volunteers goes into an office to do it, for just three hours a week, so you are unlikely to get the same person twice. Some of them are totally out of their depth with such things and give you ridiculous advice even though they should not advise you at all. It is great to chat to others who also have such problems so long as they do not assume the can actually advise each others or feel the same.
    • Posted

I'm still wearing the shoes sadly but it helps to know I'm not the only one. Are you well now? 
    • Posted

Hope you feel better soon Kat. Do you find that anything helps or affects it like if it is sunny or dark and gloomy or winter time?
    • Posted

Hi Kat

I can't send you a private message (don't know how when starting from scratch) but I am still thinking of you,.

• Posted

Thank you carmel. Nothing is shifting it at the moment. Weather doesn't make any difference.
    • Posted

Are you "depressed" about a something - i.e. a relationship where you need to make decisions and change things to be happy again or is it the illness depression Kat?
    • Posted

I just suffer with depression. I can be well for quite a while then I come down with a bout. I have everything good in my life. Wonderful husband and children but the 'black dog' just keeps coming back. This is the worst I've ever felt this time. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you feel so bad now. Have you read about Winston ChurchillHe had the black fog or something he referred to but it did not stop him from running the country and being a good prime minister and working hard. At least you know you are loved by your family.
    • Posted

I know winston churchill had depression. It's talked about a lot more nowadays and more people understand that it is an actual illness. 
    • Posted

Yes and I think Robbie Williams has it too, and Stephen Fry. What help do you get for it?>
    • Posted

A few celebrities have talked about their depression. Ruby wax, denise welch and a few more. I take medication but I'm on 3 different types and nothing is shifting it yet. 
    • Posted

Maybe they need more time to get into the system Kat. In the meantime if I may please make a suggestion, how about writing a list of all the good things you have in your life.. maybe youth, physically health, nice home, savings, children, loving husband and whatever else and reinforce the positives.
    • Posted

Hi Kat

Reading your post I take it you are no better.  I had two days out this week and I really enjoyed them.  I wasn't depressed at all.  I think it was ecause I was with friends.  However I'm not feeling great today but we are going out for a eal with friends so I will see what I'm like.  I did go to the gym though and then shopping but then I was tired so I had a little nap.

Pat xxx

• Posted

No better. Went to see my gp. Have been given folic acid tablets as it showed up as low from my blood test. Glad you had a good couple of days. Enjoy your meal out. I dont know why we can't pm each other. Perhaps I pressed block instead of view! Don't know how to unblock it. 
    • Posted

I used to PM a girl on here called Sunset.  I received a message from her asig how I was.  I asked her how she had PMd me and she said click on the name and then the envelope.  Well I kept trying that for you but it kept saying somethin about Kat hasn't written anything yet.  I noticed some names had an envelope under the name but not yours!
    • Posted

I have been able to pm another person but I think I must have blocked you by mistake. I wonder how I can unblock you? 
    • Posted

Yes I am still on 150 till I see what the psych.  says next week.  I think I feel better thn I did on the 225.  I still feel  awful in the morning but unlike before I can do things like today going to the gym.  I certainly couldn't do that before.  I can't wait to see what the psych says.
    • Posted

Hi Kat have you noticed that we are the only two who haven't got an envelope under our name?

I got up this morning feeling ghastly as usual.  Went to the pool and swam for half an hour and started feeling back to normal mid day and have felt great for the rest of the day.  I don't know if it's the 150 Ven but I definitely feel better.  I won't be sure until I wake up one morning without that awful feeling.  I am making myself get up and go either to the gym or pool though it's very hard to drag myself out of bed.  Do you exercise Kat.  I know it's very hard to make yourself do it. They do say that exercise if excellent for depression even just a walk.

• Posted

Hi,

I have not got an envelope under my name but  can recieve pms don't understand it has only gone today .I know first nothing this morning I could not sign in

• Posted

Glad your feeling better pat. I haven't been exercising at the moment. Will try though. I don't understand the private messaging. 
    • Posted

I don't either.  I could't see an envelope yours or my names yet others have said they can see envelopes under ny name.
    • Posted

I must have pressed block instead of view your messages for some reason. I don't know how to get you back so I can pm you.
    • Posted

Go into your settings and see if you have blocked anybody
    • Posted

I've tried that. Doesn't say I've blocked anybody 
    • Posted

Oh don't know then sorry,,like my envelope missing strange
    • Posted

Hi all,

There is a discussion here https://patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361 about the private message (PM) service.

To clarify things:

You will not see an envelope under your own name as you do not PM yourself, only other users will see it. If you do want to check it is appearing, sign out of the site and view one of your own posts and you will see the envelope. This is the same for Reply buttons not appearing on your own posts when you view them while signed in.

You can just click the envelope under a username anywhere in the site to PM that user, whether in a discussion or in their profile page. See image below for kat's profile with the Message link highlighted.

If you have blocked a user the envelope will not appear under their name or on their profile page and they will not see it under your name or on your profile page. You can unblock by clicking Manage blocked users as shown in the image on the discussion linked above.

I will expand the FAQ on PMs to include this info at some point. 

Kat - I can see in the admin section you HAVE blocked patricia.

If any users are still having issues please click the "Report" link on this post and use the "Other" option to ask a question. This is better than sending me a message in case I am not around. Using the Report method means all moderators will see the query. 

Regards,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.