Need some help & advice!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey folks, I'm new to all this forum stuff, but thought I would give it ago and get direct to people who suffer and feel the same way I do.

I'm 27 years old, have a full time 9 till 5 job monday to Friday which i love! I have recently just purchased my first house with my fiance and were due to get married next year! Everything you see would appear fabulous in my normal life... except one thing... I suffer with anxiety!

About a month ago i was organising my fathers surprise 60th in birmingham and with all the stress of communicating to my family etc It was causing my IBS to flare up which then provoked my anxiety about travelling to Birmingham. (over 1 hour in the car)

So I decided to go to the doctors to see if i could be given anything to help take the knock off the anxiety, to which he gave me a sleeping tablet can't remember the name something strong! He then recommended that i take fluxeotine and try a rebuild of my seritonin level... so i thought great lets tackle this and see how they go...

After the birmingham weekend away I started taking the tablets on the monday... after 3 days I had a bad reaction at work, dizziness, etc... i think it was a panic attack right out the blue no reason... so i left work and went home very upset. I called the duty doctor who said i could either continue and persist with the tablets or stop taking them. After the way i was feeling i decided to stop taking them as i hated the uncontrolable dizziness etc..

I then ended up in A&E on the Thursday night shaking, trembling, vomiting, dizzy, this lasted 8 hours, my bloods came back ok, and I was told to go home... the only thing i could do was try to sleep with the sleeping pills the doc gave me the week before. Luckily they worked for the next few days and i managed to get some sleep... a week later i believe the tablets were out of myself so i started to feel better but in the result of this i had severe anxiety.

I am not 4 weeks later and still off work! I've not been able to leave my home or go to the shops..etc... I am house bound and struggling! I don't want to lose my job so i am signed off for another week... I have managed to go round the corner in my car to the post box but that is it...

I am stranded at my dads house while my fiance moves to our new home!

PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE AS I AM STRUGGLING WITH EVERYTHING AND I DONT WANT MY LIFE TO SUFFER.

I'm not depressed... just anxious and angry that i am letting this effect my life.

I've had timeline therapy but it's only helped alittle bit... I am still awaiting a call from the NHS about talking space! 

I am really against taking any medication as i do not want any side effects!  

1 like, 18 replies

Report / Delete

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenny,  I really feel for you,   I know just how you are feeling.   I am going through the same.  

I have a new job to start soon and am worried in case this carrys on,  what am I going to do as at the moment most days I feel as though I can't even go out the house ...   

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

When I had this years ago my dr put me on Fluoxetine,  I do remember having some side effects when I first started them,  dizziness and headaches mainly but I got used to them and they did help.  I got better and gradually came off them.  I have recently in the last six months been gradually getting anxious again and having panic attacks.  I think I am getting this because of hormone changes as I am perimenopausal coming up to menopause.  If you feel you can give the fluoxetine another try maybe they will help you too.   Tina
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Is it possible that the dizziness was the anxiety and not the tablets?  I get dizzy all the time with my anxiety and have just started fluoxetine a fortnight ago.... I have had a few headaches but the dizziness is no better or worse than it was before
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No, different tablets do different things to different people....i have just started CBT, i see you mention that in another post, it will help alot, i was where you are right now with the not being able to go out, a few weeks ago, but i am seeing some improvement already... Good luck.... Ooooh and also meditation, very good as regulates your breathing xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi jenny 

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. Can I tell you, you are basically me!! My fiancé and I are getting married next year, we're due to move in together last month and am finally happy in my work life. Why does anxiety strike at such bizarre times?! I'll never know.

Anyway mine wasn't ibs related, mine was due to severe insomnia for a few days which made me have panic attacks. I was a state. 

I went to my doc who gave me citalopram which be had before so knew it would help. However the side effects were horrendous! My anxiety was through the roof, I felt dizzy, sick, couldn't Wes you name it. What's more - They made my insomnia worse which increased my anxiety. So my doctor gave me a weeks worth of zopiclone tablets (I wouldn't e surprised if this is what you had). However I'm aware of these as my poor mum is addicted to them after years of taking them. So I proceeded with caution, I thought perhaps a few would get me back into a routine. But I was just too anxious to sleep without them so I went back to my doc and told her I didn't want them anymore. So she prescribed amitriptyline to take at night alongside citalopram which is a similar medication but it makes you drowsy, so that worked while the side effects were taking their toll.

I took days off here and there and luckily my work were very understanding. I forced myself through some days which was horrible, I thought I'd never recover.

4 weeks down the line I am 99% better!! I stuck with the citalopram through the side effects and have come out the other end. I no longer take the amitriptyline and get around 6 hours a night, but more importantly have stopped WORRYING about not sleeping. 

Sorry for the essay but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. I am seeing a therapist on Thursday to discuss some sessions to help me prevent/cope with future anxiety as this along with medication will get me right back on track.

Sometimes the meds are really worth sticking by, but I understand if you don't want to go through it again. Does your work offer private healthcare? Perhaps you can get some therapy through them? It really helps but is harder before it gets easier.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks holly... I Manage to sleep perfectly now without any help.., I have a few disturbances in the night but other than that I sleep from 12:30 through till about 9am...

I was very stronge minded that I didn't want any more medication so I stopped everything! 

I'm going to try CBT and I hope it works I just need some light at the end of that tunnel! Xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi reading your story was like me in every way. First thing I'm al against med s myself, but in the end I was put on diazepams bad news never take these pills or any kind of valium. Ten years I was given these for. Anyway getting back to you. It's ok to try sertreline side effects are only sort lived. Reason I think it's important is that you can't make it out of your home. Sometimes we have to do things we don't always agree with but it can have. First of all you need stop thinking about the anxiety it will make your brain go in over drive. And that's the first thing you need to control. It's hard but in time you will control it a bit better. Anxiety is very smart. Also get yourself a diary and write down how your feeling day to day. Then that way you will start to see how your doing. Talk to another doctor about sertreline. Also I know this isn't my place to stay but I think sleeping pills are not good for you. You can also depend on them with out you knowin. Just like me on the diazepams. Always remember the doctor s don't know everything.

Regards shell

just be strong your not alone.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I just feel like I'm going round in circles and not improving... I wake up on a morning and think I'd much rather stay in bed... And at the moment that side is winning for me! 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh Jenny, it is so horrible when you feel like this.  I have been getting days like this, some days I am ok then others I just want to stay in my bedroom.  My sister went through this for a long time, she didn't leave the house and hardly ever left her bedroom.  The dr prescribed her with different types of antidepressant's, just seemed to me the the more she tried the worse she got.  She has just recently started going out gradually in her car but she will not venture too far from home.  I don't know how she did it but she went from not coming out of her bedroom and joined a gym.  She now goes regular and is feeling so much better, she still has bad days and has still got a long way to go but I ham so happy because she can now see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Can I ask are you at menopausal age ? Because I know the when a woman's hormones are fluctuating it can cause anxiety like this, just a thought.  I think a lot of why I am like this now is due to the menopause.  Hope you feel better soon, take care.   Tina
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Stay in bed and rest. Go with your body. Sleep if you can. Do you have any thing you need to be. Just have a lazy day. Don't be afraid it will make your anxiety will start. Do a word puzzle or watch s film
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh yes you are right, don't think it would be due to that then.  You can get anxiety at any time in life as I have on and off since I was a teenager.  I just thought I would mention the menopause in case, but as she is only 27 it won't be that. Tina
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've been signed off work... And have spent the last 4 weeks avoiding going out... I've had a few tiny trips in the car round my village but nothing extensive... I've Walked round the corner to feed the ducks but that's It I can't seem to go any further! 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Try and take each day as it comes... Congratulate yourself on what you CAN do and don't overfocus on what you CAN'T do at the moment... Feeding the ducks is good! A short trip in the car is good! Baby steps, try not to think ahead too much as this can overwhelm you... You will get back to normality again xx good luck!
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up