NEED SOME INFO PLEASE

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi

You guys might remember me I had both my knees done the end of Jan. I went back to work on Mother's Day. My problem is my boss is trying to knee shame me. He told me the other day his friend had both his knees done he said his friend had no pain after six weeks. I asked if he had both done same time he said no three years apart. He is trying to make me work full time when he said I could start back part time , he can't keep help. I would not mind trying to help but he gets mad if I need to rest. He acts like I'm faking. He thinks I should be healed by now . I wait tables and think I am doing very good but he makes me sad. ; ( What do you guys think?

0 likes, 34 replies

Report / Delete

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's bullying and harassment. No two people are the same so he is showing ignorance which could be seen as disability discrimination. If you have hr or are in a union then I would seek advice and don't let him bully you. He is acting very unprofessional

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

As I'm in England laws I'm sure are different however you didn't choose to be in this position maybe your doctor would do you a letter or do you have as we do occupational therapists I'm in recovery for tkr now but when I had my back done 8/9 years ago I had to go to see an OT before I was allowed to go back to work and they strongly advised what I could and couldn't do

good luck don't be bullied

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Tana,  go to your surgeon or GP and have a heart to heart about how your body feels.  Tell them what is going on at work and that u need a very specific work release note that specifies how long you can be on your feet, and then how long u should rest. U know have them specify your break needs.  I was wondering about you last week.  I am on my feet for 4 or so hours at a time...with one replacement and need to rest after that.  PLease do this for yourself.....if u do not heal properly then this whole surgery thing is a bust.  You have come way to far to let a boss bully cause u issues.  

I understand more than u think. My hubby thinks I should be just fine by now...had my surgery Feb 11.  He was great for first 3 months.  Just remember he is lucky u are back to work.  Stay strong they do not understand...cause they have not experienced this surgery.

good luck,

Pam

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Several questions:

Is this a chain or privately owned business?

How old is the manager. (sounds like a brash 30 something)

Is he willing to let you go face to face with the miracle man so you can ask him about this amazing healing he went through and what kind of work be did.

With these questions answered....the federal wage and hour board and give you some help and advice. If it's a chain, call or write the HR dept with your story. I can guarantee you they can smell a potential lawsuit a mile away.

Ask this jerk and yes he is just that, a complete a**h**e, if he would like to sit down with you and watch the you tube presentation of a complete tkr being done. ( you can close your eyes if you wish) Otherwise get off of it and you don't believe word one of his preposterous story of his imaginary quick healing friend.

Keep everything very business like as 22nd professional. No yrlling, no screaming and no years. Just one professional in the business to another.

Karma is a b***ch. Many years ago I had to have a gall bladder surgery. Mine was a strange situation where the fall bladder was diseased and so tests showing stones Or the organism shut down were all negative. Finally had it done and had some complications which set me back an extra couple of weeks. My boss was a former college/pro football player and hadn't known sickness so he was pushing me to get back on the road, start traveling etc. Dr's. said no. So after 8 Or so weeks I got back slowly and a couple months later back up to speed.........fast forward 2 years and he had a simple, straightforward gall bladder.....I got calls daily, sometimes twice a day asking questions. I was always polite and thorough but you can bet I got my pound of flesh over the next 6 weeks.

You may not be around when it happens but your boss will learn the hard way

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

OFG

You are very wise now he's jerking me around about hours what a douche bag excuse my French gave my hours to a new girl until she quits and she will , most do you can probably tell why. So a few extra day off to look for a new job. That was a good story about his imaginary friend.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No way! I feel your pain....my sister worked with someone who had a TKR the same day as mine ( she was back to work in 3 weeks) and my bosses 88 year old grandma had hers done the same day and"was doing so much better. Well, what we found out after my 3 months of intense pain was that mine was infected. After removal of the artificial knee, 3 months of IV Antibiotics and a new knee placed it was 9 months before I could resume full time work. Everone has different circumstances.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Screw the b*st*rd!!!  Do what's right for you.  If you need help, I'll send Louie The Wrench and Pulie No Neck over from the old neighborhood in Brooklyn to have a talk with your boss.  Tire irons in the parking lot.  Problem solved.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Chico

Oh man I LOVE you I will work on getting the adress for you . Just kidding but thanks i appreciate the thought. It's good to get the feed back i thought i was a slack . I think i am doing great, have a problem knee my left but this to shall pass. Thaks. smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Tana, I think your boss is a bully and he needs to take some sensitivity classes. Wow! First of you, we all manage differently. I'm guessing his friend (maybe he is real or maybe he's imaginary) had his knees heal differently, just like the rest of us. I had both my knees done at the same time and the left one was a way quicker heal than the other - I still have problems with the right knee and it's 20 months later. The fact that he says he had no pain after only 6 weeks makes me want to call him out on it. And if it is true, it's a rare case. Don't let him manipulate you. You know what your body is telling you. I'm guessing you have some swelling when you finish up your shift, don't you? That indicates you are most likely at your limit and don't need to add hours to it. I understand wanting to help out, but he's just plain mean and I don't think you should allow him to guilt you into something you don't want or aren't ready for. If he wants more help, he should start treating people better and keep the help that he's hired happy. Some people just fire me up. Let one of us go in and talk to him for you. cheesygrin

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Moan

Oh your are so right can I come work for you, my left knee is my problem knee was before my surgery too. My boss is a bully. Thanks if it gets worse I let you handle him. smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My boss told me his brother-in-law was golfing 6 weeks after his bilateral TKR so why was I having trouble with mine at 12 weeks? Turns out his brother-in-law was golfing 6 MONTHS after his bilateral not  6 weeks. Your boss probably has his head up his a** too.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Buster

He really does. His friend had both knee done, but three years apart. That's a lot different than both at the same time. It boils down to he's a jerk with no empathy for anyone. I am happy for all the support from all of you now I know I am not slacking and am actually doing really well smile.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Clearly he does not understand that everybody recovers at their own rate. Your responsibility is to give yourself the best possible chance for full recovery even if that means resisting his comments. You don't want to push too hard and set yourself back. Be strong against this kind of thing.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Tana, this is so not on...rediculous, my  boss was the same but I am still not back at work at 14 weeks due to GP not letting me as I get very stiff and swell so much. he is not happy. She expected me back at 6 weeks and not amused I'm not back. Apparently her mother in law out playing golf, doing this and that at 5 weeks while me at 50 not back to a teaching assistant post standing for 8 1/2 hours a day. My gp said I could go in this week for 2 days 4 hours each day..which I am but she so not happy and asked what is the point in that and wait till fully recovered. Please take care, see your gp or a union and keep me posted.  sue xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sue

I don't know what's wrong with some people. I know that before I had surgery I worked every shift he was open . So I went to talk to him I want to start back part time, he said he was nervous to have me on the floor right away. So I went in on Mother's Day thinking I was going to answer the phone and seat people, but noooo he sat me a full section all day long 6 hours just as hard as I could go. Since then no break he just pushes cause he can't keep help guess why. I go back to my surgeon Thurs. I will see what he says.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Just a control freak, Tana. Is this a multi store chain or a one owner owned operation. Sounds like he's trying to run you off as you may be some sort of percieved threat to his upper management.

I would arm myself with wage and hour regs and set down with him privately and in a mature manner and explain harassment lawsuits potential. Explain you have documented his actions and are prepared to get ownersip involved. You have your future to think about and cannot risk major setbacks. Maybe a call beforehand to a state agency that is involved in wage and hour relations......every state has one. I'd ask him straight out if he's trying to get you to quit and if so you aren't about to. Tell him to forget about this imaginary friend unless he is willing to introduce him to you. With my attutute I'd probably tell him everybody is different as a matter of fact I know a manager who is kind and thoughtful, always trying to do all he can to facilitate his employees welfare so he can see there is a real difference in people. Of course, I'd probably be fired........but that's just me. You mentioned you were in N. Carolina.....hope you are staying dry.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

OFG

Yeah it's pretty dry here but that's ok less bugs . My boss is the owner very small restuarant, staff is 6 people so we have no where to hide. I have a doctor's appt. Thurs. So i will see what he thinks.I think i need a new boss.smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Tana, I remember you posting re going in on mother's day and was concerned then. Go see consultant and see what he says. Can you change hours to part time.

Some bosses are scared of some staff who work better than they do themselves and push them really hard. Look after yourself xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sue, we don't use the same structure (consultant) as you do. We go directly from a primary care Dr. (your gp) to surgeon with the surgeon being the ultimate decision maker. The primary care Dr is often times the decision maker on pain meds but ultimately it's a short a path from initial treatment to surgery.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

OFG

You are once again correct, I got my referral from my PCP went to see the first doctor he gave me my shots in my knees wanted to do surgery one knee at a time 4 months apart. He was always late for my appts.and he had a bad attitude I did not Like him and i was not going to let he cut me, he was a snotty person. So i got a new refferal saw Dr Knee thats my surgeon. He had on a great shirt and cowboy boots i liked him right away. He wanted to do my sugery right away like 2week, but i waited till end of Jan because the same boss guilted me into working all the Christas and New Year parties.live is always interesting.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Ofg, sorry, GP refers us in my case for x-rays, physio, podiatry, back to physio, before seeing an orthopedic? consultant sending for more x-rays and  Mri, all this continuining over 5 years before deciding to do a disastrous arthoscopy followed 6mths later by Tkr. Here the GP refers is issues pain meds and sick lines. The consultant  only sees us pre op, in hospital post op and for a check up never see again, it's up to GP post op care deciding when go back work etc. If there is a problem they can contact the hospital  as in when I had the infection in my scar and I saw a registrar practically immedately who checked it and then got a consultant to check it. If no problems don'y see consultant again till 1 year check up.

?You would think it would be the same everywhere. Take care. x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Tana, your boss seems a charming person...not!!!

?You even put off your surgery to help over a busy time and still he/she seems to be an ungrateful so and so. Think you definately need a new boss. See how you get on tomorrow.

?You need to take care and not do too much, you need this to work as you don't want to have to go through it all again. Let me know how you get on tomorrow. Thinking about you xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sue

I know it's like working for a soul sucking vortex I feel drained when I leave. But I have been there since before he opened and worked for him before when my mom had her knee done. Guess some people never learn LOL. smile

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up