Need support on Dosulepin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im entering my 8th week on dosulepin nearly 2 weeks on 150mg, with each increase i feel pretty good for a few days and then it seems to wear off, my doc insists i give it another couple of weeks at 150mg but im feeling really down and not functioning well. Can anyone give me some success stories on this med please!!!!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sammy 05, I have been on dosulepin for several years. I was originally on 150mg at night and 75mg in the morning. I find it is the best antidepressant I have taken and the medics gave me several others to try before dosulepin. The new SSRI's do not agree with me at all. My GP reduced my dose in 2013 by cutting out my morning dose. At the same time I was taken off HRT and gave up smoking. I have also had some very stressful bouts in the last couple of years and now find myself very low. I have a few autoimmune illnesses that I am trying to keep under control which is so difficult. I am going to see my doctor about going back on the 75mg in the morning.

I remember that it did take up to three months to kick in and feel I could cope with life and function well. If you can keep at it Sammy 05 it may make you have many more good days. I certainly would not take any different antidepressant I was offered.

We don't all react the same to any medication but it is worth continuing after you only started almost eight weeks ago. Good luck and 'keep smiling'! Easier to say than do I know. One of my neighbours has Parkinsons in his mid 70's and always ends the little chats we have with that 'motto'! So inspiring.

• Posted

HI , everyone,

i have been on dosuelepin for 35 years my GP said i need to come off them because the national institute for care and excellance as said they are an old drug and have bad side effects, they have kept me stable , over the years , i have started to reduce by 25mg a month i am on my second month now and i am so poorly with the withdrawal , i really feel like giving up now . i am so depressed and full of dispair

I am in the uk , Is anyone else in the uk and have you heard about this.

thank you everyone

• Posted

thanks Anne, I've had more good days but a little dip again with my period at the moment hopefully wont last long, thanks so much for your response . 10 weeks now on DOSULEPIN and nearly 5 weeks on 150mg, My doc insisted that it takes 3 months to really get stable as its an older drug but also said its very effective

• Posted

i forgot to say i hope you are feeling better too, did you add the 75mg in the morning ?

• Posted

Pleased it seems to be kicking in Sammy 05. Your doctor is right it is one of the trycyclic antidepressants and is very effective. My doc gave me the 75mg for the morning dose and told me it would take a couple of months to kick in. I had CBT years ago and she suggested to do what the psychologist told me to get to the cause of my depression. So that is exactly what I am doing now, hopefully I will not have to be on the extra 75mg for very long.

His advice years ago that he taught me I followed and made me forgive the people that hurt me and the pain I went through. I came out of it so much stronger and much happier with myself.

Hope you feel a lot stronger soon, take care. Be thinking of you Anne 🌹

• Posted

you too Anne, Cbt is great and glad you found it helpful , Take Care

• Posted

find a new doctor, Im in AUSTRALIA and dont believe my doc would start me on this if it was bad for me, If you have been well on it why change?

• Posted

HI Thanks for reply Sammy, my sentiments entirely if they were harmful in anyway how come nothing as happen to me all these years of taken them , my doctor said they are new guildelines set by the national institute for care and excellence.

I think it is more like financial issues !

• Posted

Well i have had a great 2 weeks of feeling normal and since getting my period my mood has dropped again ..., its been a difficult 4 days. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks on 150mg wondering if I will need an increase as PMS has been a problem for me. So desperate for stability , Thanks for listening to my struggle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.