Need Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

My brother is in need of knee replacement surgery. He lives in New Mexico and returning home to North Carolina I May 2015. He was told years ago that he needed both knees replaced but did not have insurance He is now covered by Medicare and AARP insurance. He has dealt with the overweight issue by going through Gastric bypass surgery losing over one hundred pounds. Losing the weight has led to an excess skin problem estimated to be 50 to 75 pounds putting him at about 300 pounds.

This has created a “catch 22” situation in that he needs to lose the weight to have the surgery and he needs to have the surgery so he can lose the weight!

He gets around with a cane, but seriously needs the knee surgery as soon as he can. He will be living back home in eastern North Carolina beginning in May.

Has anyone in this forum ever had Knee Replacement surgery while overweight?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

A good friend of mine, a sedentary college professor with other health issues, had his done a few years back. At 1st he was told absolutely no but the pain got so bad they finally did it. Not that I would recommend it, but he was back on his Harley in 4 months. Still has a limp and some pain. But much better. He was in his late 50's / early 60's when he had it done. He is a competition bower so spends a lot of time on his feet with that as well
    • Posted

Thanks oldfatguy for the response. My brother worked driving a semi for many years. I guess double clutching and sitting down all day has taken its toll. we will be looking for a doctor that will work with him despite his weight issues. He is in the same boat as your friend was. He is at the point where the pain is so bad it is driving him nuts. He needs the surgery before he becomes forever bound to a wheel chair.   
  • Posted

Hi Bruce,

I am carrying a little extra weight, but certainly at my PT classes there were several folks who were seriously obese. There doesn't seem to be any rule of thumb on whether or not this extra weight will impede the recovery or success of the surgery ... obviously it will be easier and less painful, less stress on the knees with less weight. 

• Posted

Hi Donna thanks for your reply. You are right. From everything I've read the recovery goes a lot smoother if the patient is not overweight. I don't know but I think it all depends on the patient and attitude.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.