need to quit Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, I'm new to this so please bare with me.

I have been on Citalopram for 6 weeks now, started at 10mg for 1 week then 20 mg for 3 weeks and then silly me asked to go up to 30mg cause if a little is doing good a little more will do better right? rolleyes

I am on it for mild premenopausil symptoms, mostly irritability and some anxiety

I am wondering if quitting cold turkey is an option after being on it for such a short time? (I started with Zoloft at the lowest dose for about 3-4 weeks but side effects were brutal)

The reason I want to go off is that I have gained 10lbs in the last 6 weeks and now my ankles and hands are swollen (can't wear wedding ring at the moment).  I already weighed 255lbs and was trying to diet but yikes!!!

Its a long weekend so I am not able to get in to see my doc until next Friday if I am lucky.

I do still have my pills so I can always go back on if needed but REALLY don't want to.........

TIA

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ho Donna. I have been on these meds for some 4 months and I must say I have my life back. Not to sure I would just quit taking them cold turkey. Antidepressants are not meds to be playing around with. Look on this site for ur answers. If you come across a lady named Katecog, ask her for advice. She has helped me a great deal with her posts and has helped numerous ppl with their issues. Stick with the plan. Try going for walks. Things will work out. Take care!!!
  • Posted

still too early to consider up the dose

give it at least 12 weeks

don't jump from medication to other , every time u jump u will need more time to wait the result

stuck with one and be pation and u will get ur life back

being happy is more importent then having some weight

• Posted

Hi Donna I'm on them for same early menopause anxiety started over a year ago and my mood swings I came off hrt cause of the bloating etc I'm going into 8th week in Wednesday on 20mg I haven't put any weight in u exercise everyday walking sit ups I do feel better mood wise but still mild anxiety try going dwn to 20mg again x
  • Posted

Hi Donna

Taking a larger dose doesn't mean you'll get better any quicker, and often it can be too much for some people.  

Whatever you do, don't go cold turkey.  You'll regret it as you'll be very ill.  However long you've taken them, I'd really advise withdrawing slowly by 5mg / 2 weeks at a time.

Have you thought of taking a lesser dose to see if it helps with the weight gain and swelling?  I started initially on 20mg, then reduced to 10mg for a maintenance dose and stayed on that for years, and am now only on 5mg.

Another thing to consider if you do decide to come off the meds is to try an over the counter natural SSRI called 5-HTP and also take l-tyrosine.  Do not take them when on Citalopram though - you need to be off Cit before starting them.

There's a book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression by Michael T Murray.  It talks about sleep problems, weight and other things too.  A really good book.

So either ink about reducing your dose to see if it helps, or if you do come off the meds try the alternative natural one.

K xx 

• Posted

HI Katie, I have been trawling thru old posts . You have helped me a lot in the past. I think I need to go back on cit again.i took it for6 months ..20 mg....and a year to slowly get off it 3 yrs ago. I have done the meditation mindfulness st jons wort  Nhs CBT etc.since  I did try the 5 htp over last few weeks. It helped a little but I seem to be in a hole again and have an apt with gp next week.  Are you still on that low dose? 
    • Posted

Hi Gillian

Sorry to hear you're have a struggle again xx.

I've been on Citalopram twice and in between was on 5-HTP and l-tyrosine (the book I refer to a lot recomends both are taken together).

However if you feel you're beginning to struggle then its a good idea to go back on Citalopram.  I did 2 years ago when stress began to affect me and I felt myself slipping into a hole too, so I restarted before I got in too deep.  If it helped you before then it'll help you again.  I had a different experience the 2nd time I started it .... side effects I don't remembering having the 1st time, and it seemed to take longer .... but it worked again.

I was on a low dost of 10mg Citalopram for years before coming off, but when I restarted I went straight back onto 20mg.  I think I would restart at 10mg if I did it again though.  I stayed on it for a year and then withdrew this last year and stayed on 10mg then 5mg for quite a while and still felt well.

I'm now off again and back on 5-HTP and l-tyrosine again and doing well.

I'm sure you'll find Citalopram will help you again.  How long have you felt that struggle for?

K x

• Posted

Don't even think about! See my past posts too. Yes you will be ill.

I took a year coming slowly off at 2.5 mg drop and even 1.25mg drops towards the end . I only had the 20 mg for 6 months . My GP wasn't into long term treatment. I think she was right.

I see so many people being given AD...am not sure in my own mind that is correct . I felt I had to help myself. Everyone is individual however.

i am cit free now now. I do meditation  podcasts and my GP referred me to a Minds Matters course run by my local Nhs. Am on week 6/8. It has helped. Having researched so much myself I could probably run the course...😉 But But it is helping. I also have got into Mindfulness. They do say that that can be stronger than antidepressants. So am working hard at that. 

Good luck 

• Posted

I have been on citalopram for two weeks, and want to come off, 20mg for 9 days, tapering to 15 for 5, but took a 20 this morning as felt I needed it. 

how slowly do you think i need to come off.

any help appreciated

• Posted

Hilary.....if you have only been on it two weeks you should discuss with GP

maybe you need longer to feel better.

they worked Aok for me but GP was not into it long term. 

i was on 20 mg for 6 months. Over a year I took dose down 2.5mg every two weeks on an alternating nights IE 20mg/17.25 for two weeks then 17.5/17.5 the next. If at any time I felt unstable I stayed on the dose another week. I did go back up 2.5 mg for a week as well then started reduction again. I kept all the bits in a little box and used those up. A pill cutter is only about£2 if that and useful.

talkto yr GP. Mine gave me a recommended reduction of 20/15 and much quicker reduction but I am medical too and felt that was too quick for me

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up