Need tube from gallbladder clear before operation.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, has anyone been told the tube from the gallbladder needs to be clear before you can have operation. After a scan for pain on right side I was told I have gallstones and because of the bad episodes of pain I need my gallbladder out but the surgeon has now told me that if after my next scan if the tubes not clear I will need a tube put down my throat to clear it, I really do not want this. Please if anyone knows a alternative can you let me know. 

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well scan went ok, just got to wait to hear from hospital or doctors, fingers crossed tubes are clear 🙏.
    • Posted

Great news debs. Hope you hear from the doctor real soon. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks so much, it's nice to have someone to talk to about this x
  • Posted

Yes, I waited four months due to long waiting list and health authority only doing emergency procedures, in the end didn't have it done as I needed an emergency op to remove the gallbladder. Thankfully my surgeon was the only one in the area who would do it with key hole surgery, the rest would only do it with the full traditional full op.
    • Posted

Hi Susan, I've been told the op should be keyhole but until they are doing the op they can't guarentee they won't have to open me up. Thanks .
  • Posted

Someone else I know mentioned something about a tube down her throat but she decided she did not want that done.

I have had scan and like you am waiting to have my gallbladder out.

I have not seen surgeon yet so no one has mentioned to me about a second scan or tube down my throat.

I suppose asn alternative is just to live with the bad episodes of pain as you are now, after all you do not have to have an operation if you don't want to.

What are you doing regarding diet? You need to be on low or even no fat.

I know that is difficult I am doing it myself.

Good luck with all this and take care.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah, just the thought of that tube going down my throat just terrifys me but I can't put up with the pain anymore, it's not there all the time but Im always frightened it will start. I've got 2 holidays booked this year one in Cornwall but ones abroad in September and really don't want a bad episode in another country. Ive been told to stick to a low fat diet ( which isn't a bad thing ) but still have bad pain occasionally. Thanks for caring. Debs x
    • Posted

Hi Sarah I'm sorry to hear your still waiting for your operation. I hope you won't be waiting too much longer and aren't suffering too much pain. Take care x
  • Posted

Till you've had the scan you won't know if you need to have the procedure, but don't worry if you do, everyone I've spoken to who's had it says they were so doped up they don't really remember it.

My husband had to have part of his thyroid removed two weeks ago, he'd already had a camera investigation, which he said was no problem. Before he was allowed home they said he needed another done but that if he had anaesthetic he'd need to stay in longer, so he had it done without. Believe me he's a big baby, so if he was alright to have it done without anestheticit can't be that bad. This was his first ever op and stay in hospital, I felt awful as I couldn't even go in and visit him, I've a broken foot and ankle.

• Posted

Thanks Susan, I'm 57 years old and still a baby when it comes to hospitals hahaha, just hoping scan shows the duct is clear. I know I will cry like a baby if it's not.😷😭. Thanks anyway x
  • Posted

Still not heard from either hospital or doctors, not sure if this is a good thing or not.
  • Posted

Eventually I contacted the surgeons secretary to be told I'm on waiting list for operation and don't need tube down throat, Hooray. Now it's a waiting game .
    • Posted

At least that's good news, if you don't get an appointment soon check back with the surgeons secretary. It may also be a good idea to contact you GP practice to be checked over, one of the nurses can probably do it. I had an op put back three months because pre op found I had high blood pressure.
  • Posted

Received op date, Saturday 18th July. Pre op 29th June. At last. Now my stomach is doing somersaults but I can now see the end. Thanks Susan69134.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.