Needing advice/help/comfort

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started having pain in my right ribs a couple of weeks ago. I went to the doctor and the blood tests, urine tests, x-rays, and ultrasound came back normal. They have now recommended me for a HIDA scan. The pain is very light now, it usually only occurs when I eat, need to use the bathroom, and sometimes it burns when I sit. I have a little burping. I feel better when I lay down, usually on my sides. The worst part is the anxiety and fear. I have had anxiety problems for most of my life, and this has sent me over the edge. It's all I can think about every second of the day. It scares me that things are moving so slowly. I got the call about the HIDA scan 3 days ago, but they haven't called back about the appointment. I don't know much about the timeframe of this kind of thing, and I was just hoping someone could put my mind at ease a bit? Thank you for your time.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

Sorry to learn you're having problems with this.  I live in the US, so I don't know about the time frames in other locations.  

However, just because nothing showed on the x-rays or the ultrasound doesn't mean that you don't have gallstones.  A CT scan might pick them up.  It really depends on the type of gallstones and the skill of the tech doing the ultrasound.  If you have small stones and sludge (which is like grainy mud) it might not get picked up.  

While you are waiting to get your tests done, you might consider eating low fat and avoiding caffine and acidic foods, which for some people can make things worse.  

Best of luck to you--please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I am also in the US. I have been following a strict diet, like you suggested, and so far the pain hasn't been as bad as last week. The anxiety is the worst part. Thank you for your response.

• Posted

HI Matthew!

You're welcome.  I understand about the anxiety...if you are dissatisfied with what the gp is doing, you could ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist, who would probably want to perform additional tests besides a HIDA scan, such as a colonoscopy and an endoscopy.  Usually gastro's are a little bit more thorough.  

• Posted

Hi Matthew, I'm surprised that you haven't a ct scan as Linda mentioned or an mrcp as they will find gallstones but a HIDA scan won't show up gallstones but it will show if your gallbladder isn't working correctly.

I had lots of tests, scans etc before I had a HIDA scan which finally showed that my gallbladder wasn't working correctly and the pain wasn't my imagination. I had to wait 6 weeks until my HIDA scan after my mrcp and I didn't hear for a couple of weeks when I got my appointment date. 

Unfortunately when you get your date will depend on how urgent your doctor has put it on your referral form. Is your doctor a gastroenterologist or a gp? I know I was under a gastro and he organised the tests.My gp only did the first bloods and ultrasound tests. 

If your symptoms get worse then please go back to your gp and they can push things along. 

I hope you get a date soon so it can put your mind at rest. Let me know how you get on.

Take care.

• Posted

Right now I am seeing a GP. I don't know why she hasn't suggested a CT scan yet. Thank you for your response.

• Posted

I am sorry to read your message...and it is normal to be anxious but this only

increases your problem...somewhat.  I live in America and I had chest pains etc.

and was given a chemical C-scan where it was found that I had gall bladder.

I saw a surgeon who did not recommend sugery so I just Radically changed my

diet to NO fat over 5grs. drink at least 50oz water daily (I do not like water) walk

and eat 5 small meals instead of 3 a day.  I have come thru 3 cancers (1 with surgery) all in remission and I am maintaining my health mostly due to change of diet.

We are what we eat.  Good luck!!

• Posted

Try not to worry ... I have right rib pain for six months now uktra sound did show gall stones. I drink lemon water and hot water bottle eases the ache. Won't scan me though as says will know what pain is when gall bladder is removrd. Try not to stress yourself over it ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.