Negative Blood, Urine, & DRE tests, but elevated PSA

Posted , 5 users are following.

57 year old with minor urinary pain starting my stream.  No pain otherwise

PSA went from 2.25 to 3.44 in 15 months.   

Doctor said the velocity warranted more  testing.  

CBC blood panel, urine w/microscope, and 2 DRE's were all normal although one Doc felt my prostate was mildly enlarged.

I guess my question is whether the good blood and urine results rules out infections, and points more towards the velocity having an ominous meaning to it? 

The two PSA scores were done at different labs, and the higher score I was off my statins, riding a stationary bike regularly, and a bit dehydrated.  But would that be enough to explain the quick jump? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, avoid bikes, sex,DRE's and any prostate medications for about four days before PSA testing. When my prostate was rather big 135 grams my PSA was around 9. After laser surgery it went down to 0.74

• Posted

Hello J5  Don't be rushed into anything by any doctor.  With everything coming out normal.  PSA could be high because of many things.  Riding the bike, sex, the dehydrated.  I'm going through something like what your going through.  My PSA went from 0.7 last year to 2.2 this year.  I will have a another PSA done in 3 month's but my urologist said it could be a infection or prostatitis.  I'm just taking day by day and I'm not going to worry about it.  Try to relax   Ken 

• Posted

Thanks Ken,

I asked about aggressive options besides rushing in for a biopsy, my doctor is setting me up with a 4K test 4kscore.com and a pelvic MRI.  I'm hoping like heck it was just an odd score due to some sort of inflammation. 

• Posted

PSA can vary depending on many things......so your PSA change is not alarming.... Take a 2nd opinion...
  • Posted

Many things can raise PSA along with those already mentioned including not enough sex, and too much sex.

Don't let the DR. do a rectal biopsy. There's no better way to get a severe prostatitis then jabbing a large needle many times through a non sterile colon, and they all are, into your prostate. Also oral antibiotics will be of little help to prevent the infection. Many have had prostate infections for years. If antibiotics could deal with them, that would not be the case. Also, absent an MRI telling the DR where problems might be, he/she is literally playing pin the tail on the donkey with a blindfold in place. The doc may completely miss a problem, or worse, find a slow growing cancer and recommend watchful waiting while missing a dangerous aggressive cancer right next to it.

If further psa testing indicates a biopsy, insist on an MRI guided peritoneal biopsy. If your doc won't or can't do it, get another doc who will.

Neal

• Posted

YES that is right.  If your doctor will not do what you want.  Remember you are the patient.  Get another doctor that will listen   Have a great day  Ken
  • Posted

Very excited!  I received the results from my 4Kscore results: The 4Kscore Test relies on the measurement of four prostate-specific kallikreins in the blood: Total PSA, Free PSA, Intact PSA, and Human Kallikrein 2 (hK2). The blood test results are combined in an algorithm with patient age, digital rectal exam (nodules, no nodules), and prior negative biopsy (yes, no) to give physicians a personal score for each patient. The 4Kscore Test predicts the risk percent score from <1% to >95% of a man having aggressive cancer in a prospective biopsy.

My doctor said my PSA went down from 3.44 to 2.88 and that the odds of me having any cancer in the next 10 years is only 6%.  This experience was scary, and I hope the best for all of you going through this.  I will do my best to make sure my friends and family understand the mixed messages an elevated PSA score can bring, but there are tools to rule out the worst case scenario. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.