Nerve ablation

Posted , 11 users are following.

In a few days I'm going back to see the anesthesiologist to discuss whether I'm going to have nerve ablation, a procedure where they burn out the nerve with an electrical spark. I have PHN on the right side of the head, it means permanent headaches. I've had it nearly two years and it could be said I'm managing more or less with the medication - Neurontin and Lyrica and the one at night Trigonom, I can't remember how to spell it. But the headache is still there of course, only dulled. I can't decide what to do, have the ablation or tell the doc I'll come back later maybe if it becomes truly intolerable. So I'm asking everyone in this forum, what would you do in my situation?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is there any permanent loss of anything?

Paul

• Posted

There may be some damage to nerves other than the one in question but these operations are micro so it's unlikely. No permanent damage, if anything a rearrangement. The possibility exists the ablated nerve repairs itself, I've heard but these are at best all possibilities, I don't know in fact if there is permanent damage.

• Posted

Ask the doctor if there is any motor loss or loss of sensation.

I asked about nerve ablation and they can't do it where the nerve is affected or it will affect my gait. Walking is important so it's off the table.

I wish you luck!

Lainy

• Posted

Just read it doesnt always work, and for people who had nerve

blocked shots that didnt work most likely the ablation wont work.

MDWEB

Paul

• Posted

I asked the doc and she said it is so accurate (in my case) that we could rule out motor loss or loss of sensation. So I could have it, in that case. I'm unsure because it's so near to the brain and there's a perceived danger or sudden impact.

• Posted

Hard to make those choices. Have to outway the pros and cons(risks). If your thinking it will improve your quality of life I say go for it, but what's the worse case senerio? I'm constantly researching and trying to find others with my same affliction to see what they have done. That's why I love this site and forum!

• Posted

I had nerve block shots 4 times, I found the first few worked for a couple of weeks then the head pain returned. The reason I'm going on to ablation is that the nerve block shots don't work anymore.

• Posted

Yes I find this forum helpful too. Sad to say most of the comments speak about no real difference in the pain through treatment, but that it does get better after a couple of years. It must be the perception of the pain alters as time goes by. It's this I'm thinking of before anything intrusive has to happen.

• Posted

Hope it works for you.

Im going for my 3rd set of shots

My pain is r/s neck and shoulder

I have the nervo stimulator implanted, not working.

PAul

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I haven't heard about the success rate of the nervo stimulator implant. I'll see if I can find out some more about it on internet. I hope the next nerve block shot gives you some relief.

• Posted

Have you asked what the risks of the nerve ablation are? What % is successful? What is considered successful? If you have the ablation and it's successful, does that mean that you will stop having headaches and can get off all of the medicine? Perhaps you've already asked these questions. After gathering as much information as possible about the procedure, I think only you can decide if it's worth it to you to go forward with it. What is your quality of life right now? Good luck.

Gail

• Posted

I'm having this done in Thailand, the doc says it will be successful, no discussion about % success or failure. There are language communication problems here. That in itself is a risk factor. I'm not able to judge. Good question: what is your quality of life right now, groggy from the meds and a dull head pain, tolerable, all the time. Sometimes severe stabbing pains in the head, three or four times then it stops. I could live with it perhaps, if it didn't get any worse. This is the problem, how to decide, after the ablation it could be an entirely different set of nerve pain I'd have to learn to get used to all over again.

• Posted

You don't say where you live, but I'm assuming you don't live in Thailand. As for me, personally, I wouldn't do it due to the language barrier. There's too much at stake. As you said, maybe you'd end up with a new set of problems.

• Posted

Yes I do live in Thailand, and this language communication problem is an every-day thing. But there are ways around it, and besides what I've learned on this forum has filled in all the gaps I think! Thanks everybody for your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.