Nerve pain &weakness

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, there. 2 months after my tkr, anyone have advice or medicine or topical lotion for leg nerve pain? My feet were numb & leg was numb last night. I may have walked a bit much...thank you

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI Dawn 

I had bilateral tkr’s 2 yrs go and have nerve pain in my feet.  I take Gabapentin/Lyrica And it seems to help. There are so many hiccups to get over the op but we all get there in the end.  Talk to your doctor. Don’t suffer.  

Best wishes

Sue x

• Posted

Leg pain is one thing (Voltaren Gel...great topical anti-inflammatory, RX in the US...check for side effects and interactions).  Leg NERVE pain is quite different.  That could be caused by a number of factors like sciatica which is not uncommon in TKR patients as we change our gait to avoid pain, misalign something in our hips or pelvis and pinch a nerve. My case came on at 5 weeks; fixed with a chiropractor.

"Overdoing it" one day can also bring this on...usually accompanied by a swollen knee.  If that's the case, the symptoms will subside in 24-48 hours. Ice, elevate, take your meds.  If it doesn't alleviate and it persists, don't aggravate it and see your doc.  The only "topical" that I have found for nerve pain is AsperCream with 4% Lidocaine or Lidocaine patches.  I strictly avoid the nerve meds like Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Lyrica because of the outrageous side effects.  You never want to go that route for something temporary.

• Posted

My doctor prescribed amytripyline to take at night and it worked for me. I've not experienced any side effects but I have heard that it can cause weight gain 

• Posted

Meh...some experience it, others don't.  Also depends on the dosage.  Amitriptyline is really an anti-depressant so using it just for sleep may not be the best med choice.  I have Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and I tried a few meds for it.  Doc settled on 1 mg Xanax (Alprazolam) to just relax those nerves at night and help me get to sleep.  Yes, it's a benzodiazapine (like Valium) but 1 mg is really a minor dose with a 4-hour half-life that has no addictive qualities, at least in me, at that level.  Another benzo with longer acting properties (longer, 36-hour half-life) is Klonapin.  Again, a minor dose to get to sleep and stay that way.  I tried Ambien and some others...found myself in the kitchen at 3 am cooking bacon ASLEEP!!!  Never again...

Other things to try for sleep...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl and the ingredient in all the PM meds...the generic is really cheap) is an anti-histamine that makes you drowsy.  Two tabs or caps (50mg) 1 hour before bed, turn off all electronics and read.  Try that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.