Nerves are stopping my life. Help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been battling panic attacks for 20 years. Up until a few months ago I was ok. I loved my voluntary job but then the new manager took over and he was nasty. After 5 years of being so happy I had to leave because of the atmosphere. I called that job my safety zone but not any more. I did get another job but now am the new girl and feel panicky every morning it is time to do my shift. I've called in sick today.

On top of that my friend who always cheered me up got arrested for fraud and now does not leave her home because she was in the papers. I never knew what she was doing.

I guess the answer is to make new friends and concentrate on my job. But I go to see my psychiatrist last week and she informs me that there are cut backs and I'm being discharged to my GP. Nowadays GPs only have 10 minutes each patient plus you can't get an appointment until 4 or 5 days times.

It feels so much safer to take valium and sleeping pills but you have to wake up again later on so the problem will not go away.

Do any readers have any tips that they do when they wake up and panic about the things they have to deal with each day.

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I feel your troubles and your certainly not alone in how you feel. First off you need to give yourself a lot of praise for being able to sustain your volunteering for such a long period of time, thats a big achievement and shouldn't be underestimated. Its even more impressive that you have bounced back into another role from having to leave a previous one due to a not so nice manager. What is your new role doing? 

Have you ever heard of mindfulness? that may be a good thing to try and get into the routine of doing. Also have you ever had therapy for your panic attacks etc? 

• Posted

Hi dear

Anxiety's best medicine is a good sleep and regular meals and lots of water. And keep yourself busy distracted. Medicines aren't of much help in my case. And being alone worsens things as you tend to start thinking of this and that . enjoy your new job you will find new friends there spend time with family and watch comedy on TV.

I was under fear , depression ,anxiety and panick attacks followed by hyperventilation which left me short of breath almost the whole day sometimes . I was scard of social situations and was confined in my room for a month cut off from everything work, friends, family, church, activities etc.

was hospitalised for 3 nights and 1night in intensive care unit because of my breathlessness and anxiety attacks . I thought I had heart problems so checked with my cardiologist and neurologist and did echo, ecg, chest X-ray , 7 days holter, ct scan of heart , brain and neck and a lot of blood tests and all came back normal . I felt so helpless as there were no specific medication which will heal me and my problem seemed so unreal. Self confidence went flat on the ground, and I felt secured only being in my room on my bed I was going crazy .

I googled all my symptoms all the medicines their side effects etc and all sorts of exercises online . I tried each and everything possible and one day I found this artical online and after reading it , it gave me such a confidence and mental strength to face my fears and to control them with the help of God . I will send the link in private message as links arnt allowed on here.

I hope it helps in your case too .

36 minutes ago

• Posted

I have suffered from anxiety for about twenty yrs as well,I have a full time job and can totally relate to how you feel before a shift,I always feel dreadful but just go along being busy helps a lot I don't know what advice to give as I'm still struggling to fit in but things are a lot better than when I first started doing these new shifts with new people since January,all I can say is don't give up x
  • Posted

Ps when your psychiatrist discharges you will you not have access to the local community psychiatric nurse. I can call a local centre if I'm going through a tough time this is usually a part of a care package when your discharged x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.