Nervous about physio today! Havent been for 3 wks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im 8 weeks today post op for tkr and i havent been to physio for 3 wks and i go today! Im really nervous as my bend was 77 at last appt! I am doing all i can and trying hard with all the exercises! I do whole routine twice a day but do bending flexion about 5 times! Im still icing a lot to! Fingers crossed i would love my bend to be nearer 90!!! Im trying to walk around house without crutches teaching myself to concentrate on walking with operated leg as best i can! I went out for a couple of hours last nt to my local flowerclub and felt i walked ok with one crutch!

I do feel aprehensive about today as i want to have improved enough! This process of recovery has been harder than i anticipated! Im hoping it will take only the 12 wks i thought to get me back to work and walking unaided! Im 49 and am frustrated! Haha! Thanks guys i know iv waffled on!

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Although my knee bend is109 - I'm suffering with so much pain that I think I've pulled a muscle!! I can't help it in the night stretching my leg without being able to control it and then if it stretches all the way I get the most awful pain that makes me cry out!!

I think I started driving too quickly at 4 weeks post op.

I had my op on the 13th Feb so that makes me 8 weeks post op today and sometimes I think I wish I never had it done.

It's been the most awful 8 weeks of my life. I never expected this.

I knew there would be pain but I can't seem to control it and I never know what I will be like the next day.

I go to a physio class one a week and then I've been to a private physio the last three weeks but in trying to help the muscle which she says is tight at the back of my leg- I feel she makes it worse - I couldn't walk yesterday.

That's what I mean - somedays I can walk unaided - other days I'm hobbling.

• Posted

Why are you rushing things?

is your car automatic or manual. Yes you did start to early, physically and legally.

what pain meds are you on.

why go to class and private physio

when trying to loosens muscle, it gets worse before it gets better,

especially by driving before you are healed, does not help!

think of your muscle as a skein of wool that has been dropped and the cat thinks it a toy.  That is the state of your muscle. It takes a hell of a lot patience to undo all the knots and twists.  Forget your bend until you get full muscle control back.  Also you sound very down, get you GPto prescribe anti-depressants for a couple of months. Taking them and your pain meds properly and regularly you will get back on track, use a cane; it is not a sign of weakness, it is being sensible (make sure you use it on the opposite side to your bad leg) even on the days you feel fine, use the cane.  The fact that you are up and down means on your good days you unwittingly do too much and pay for it

Also sounds like your painkillers are not strong enough. Speak to your doctor about either a new prescription or upping your existing one. 

• Posted

Mary...muscle stretches...stretches....have to get the muscle strength.   And not a lot of them...but hold for count of 20 - 30 seconds....whatever is comfortable...don't over do.  You are like a yo yo ...due to overdoing inbetween feeling better.  This is hard on muscles and the tense up and knot up.  I have been there and done it too.  Again....I am 8 weeks post op too.  Use your cane.  Mary how's your sleep??  I feel less depressed with just 2 good nights sleep.  Pain meds...and whatever else you need to sleep....you have to do.  The frustration and depression will hender your progress also.
  • Posted

I also do all exercises 2 X a day.  You have to work on muscles

strength now.  I concentrated on muscle strength for 2 weeks and had a major bend increase right after.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.