Nervous need advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Having not felt myself I went back to my doctor today who prescribed me 20mg Fluoxetine. I was hoping to avoid medication and am yet to take my first dose. I am very nervous about this and don't really know what to do. I fear I may never come off once I start and don't want it to rule my life.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a therapist? Psychologist? I working with one currently and am hopeful this maybe my best decision. I've been on the fluoxetine for a few months switching from Celexa. Each person's different and me having a brain injury 4 year's ago puts me into the different category. I've never liked the idea of med's but also thought I can handle everything myself. Not true I've found. If it was a little later I could report my CBT with my psychologist. My goal is to be med free but understand that my brain may need help with a med. Knowledge is power and the more you can get the better especially with med's and other's and there experience.
  • Posted

The Medicine won't rule you - it'll give you your life back.  If anything, the illness rules your life, not the meds.  Many people have to take meds for all sorts of reasons and taking meds for this illness is no different to any other.  People often try and cope with their anxiety/depression etc by themselves (me included) and often find themselves sinking into a deeper rut.

The meds are not addictive.  You can take them for life if needed.  When you're ready to come off them you just have to withdraw from them as slowly as possible to avoid withdrawal effects.  This does not mean your body is addicted to them, but simply that they must leave your body slowly ... just as they enter your body.

They can be tough meds to take, due to the  initial side effects, but this wears off in time.

I was ill for 15 years with this illness and when I started taking SSRI's I recovered within 6 months and have been well ever since.  I got my life back.

K xx

• Posted

Katecogs, couldn't agree more. Fluoxetine literally saved my life and gave me a whole new perspective, Hannah2315. It allowed me to get some motivation back, so that I could start the meditation practice which is now really helping. It allowed me to stop feeling worthless and cynical, so that I gave counselling a chance. This is also really helping me. When the meds finally kicked in I never wanted to come off them! But now I can see other ways of dealing with the black dog, and I can imagine myself coming off Flu in the near future, replacing it instead with the strategies I'm learning now. It has given me a crucial breathing space and I hope it does for you too.
    • Posted

Hey Chris - same for me.  The meds saved my life too.  I look at life in a whole new light now.  Glad to hear you're doing well 😊

K xx

• Posted

I've just been put on these today and the same dosage I was on escitalopram but I'm scared to take fluoxetine till the escitalopram is out of system
  • Posted

Im on day 5 of fluoxetine, first 3 days were rough, but today im feeling much better, i would say if i didnt have the anxiety still lingering i would feel actually great! Hope the anxiety drifts away......... Taking it one day at a time, even though each day is different so hard to tell. On those super hard days i have to take

.25mg of xanax to fully calm me, specially if im at work, im praying this works, with therapy as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.