nervous ticks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I already have a couple of questions answered by reading some of your

posts. Such as how long it takes to start being effective and the issue of being more nervous at first. I am taking 10 mg, started 7 days ago, so I need to give it a couple of more weeks. I am taking it because when I get nervous I will start a repetitive twtch. My shoulder, arm, and wrists is so sore I am in pain all the time. I am also jerking my neck. I am taking this medication to hopefully alleviate this. Anyone else have a similar problem? Dos this medication help?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think I have encountered something similar - I used to have BAD anxiety, and when I got in a situation where it became very intense, my eye would twitch, etc.  I'm not sure if you have an actual nervous condition that is causing the twitching, but I personally believe that in my case, it's simply the result of your body being overloaded with stress hormones and elavted neurotransmitters associated with severe anxiety.  I have posted in this topic before voicing my dislike of citalopram and similar drugs.  I think they are horrible anxiety medications, and potentially can make your anxiety exponentially worse.  Different people tend to have different reactions, but in my case, citalopram tripled my anxiety and added some ugly side-effects.
    • Posted

These are not involuntary twitches per say. I guess they would be obsessive compulsive. They get worse when I am stressed. They have let up slightly today. I am on day 8 of 10 mg. Probably too early to judge the effectiveness of the drug. I was more nervous the first couple of days I took it and had a very slight nausea. That seems to be gone. If these help calm the need to make these movements which wind up causing pain like a repetitative stress injury I will be happy. So I wait and see I guess. I do not have excessive cleaning or checking OCD just this. I havehad this since the second grade on and off and mostly just delt with it, but it is getting painful.
    • Posted

Interesting.  Well, perhaps it will work for you, as you say you need to give things a chance.  Please update the discussion with your results.
    • Posted

Yes, I will post progress or lack thereof. I was hoping someone had some experience with this. I was told it was not torettes syndrome, just nerves. Other people seem to have depression, which I have had at times or panic attacks, anxieties that make it hard to leave home or something. That is not my problem. All the anxiety goes into these jerky movements, lifting my arm away from my body or jerking my head. When I was young I would have to touch something the same way and pressure with each hand. I would do it several times because it felt one hand did it harder, so I would keep trying. Definitely OCD behavior. I have not seen a post with by anyone having that problem, but saw that Citalopram did have 70% effect on OCD. I hope. Any improvement would be good.
    • Posted

Yes, that's interesting.  I had mentioned nervous twitches and such - which goes along with extreme anxiety (hyper-vigilance) and is uncontrollable, involuntary twitches.  Your case sounds different.  It's intriguing, though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.