nervous wreck Cortizone injection tomorrow

Posted , 22 users are following.

So nervous about getting my first Cortizone injection in the knee tomorrow !

I've watched some YouTube videos what a scary thought feeling my anxiety rise the closer it gets! Will this be painful ?? I'm so scared of needles and to think it going to the bone is blowing my mind and no numbing my luck... Any encouragement would be great

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Don't worry, been getting them for 6 years. They hurt for about 2 seconds. Take aspirin or if you can take Ibupropion, take it an hour before. The pain does not come from the needle, it is the pressure of medication going in a small opening, so you feel pressure but it's quick. I got both knees done every six months for 6 years until I had a knee replacement in one this year. I also get one in my left hip. It's the one done by radiology into the tiny space. It's more painful but again it's quick. Just grit your teeth and it's over...work your knee back and forth right after the injection so the medication goes in well. It helps almost immediately, at least within 30 minutes or so.

• Posted

Check w/ doc on the aspirin before as it can cause bleeding in some people. No need compounding problems
  • Posted

Hi, Debra! I have been through a few rounds of cortisone shots in both knees and a series of injections (3 each knee) prior to turning to knee replacement. With each injection I asked to have my knee numbed. My doctor was more than happy to do so. It was just topical but very helpful. I also made it a point each time to not look and to distract myself either by talking with my husband who was with me each time or chatting with the doctor. In no time it was done. Please make sure and breathe, perhaps concentrate on slow steady breathing. I am sure you will do fine.
  • Posted

Maybe the utube thing is a little more than the reality. Its never been that big of deal to me. The knee gets sterilized, then the Dr picks his spot and desensitized with a small thin needle injecting lidocaine or other med. After letting that set up for a few minutes and then the real juice is injected. I have always felt pressure more than pain. The solution then does its own thing as it spreads and gently works its way throughout the joint. You can then ice the area to control what little bruising might occur. This may be another case of the bark being worse than the bite. If the solution works as ad ertised, in 48hours you'll be so happy you went through the procedure.

• Posted

Debra, don't look at the needle, look away. Take deep breaths. It's over before you know it. The next time will be even easier. You can do it! Just think about how much better you will feel. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Posted

I've had a few, don't worry - it's quick and pretty pain free.  A little discomfort, that's all.  You'll be fine

• Posted

Are you afraid of injections (flu etc)?

It's no different!

The area of injection will be rubbed with alcohol or maybe numbed.

Ive had a number of injections in my knee - no problem.

Thinking of you

• Posted

Not sure why I get all worked up over a needle any kind of shot blood draw or IV does something to me I can't control

• Posted

Believe me...YOU are NOT ALONE on this!

I've donated blood every other month since 1987, and before each donation my heart races, my mouth gets dry, and I have to talk myself calm all the way to the Red Cross!

Long deep breaths in then blowing that air out completely really helps.

Hope everything went well for you today! I was thinking about you today!

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl your so sweet ! It sure did hurt but not long just like each person told me and this morning I woke up feeling such relief thanks so much for your thoughts! My Dr said give it 36 hours and that was almost to the hour my relief is here hope it last!
    • Posted

Oh, GOOD!🙌😁😊🙌

So happy things went well and you are experiencing relief!

🙌😊😁🙌😁😊🙌😁🙌😊😁🙌😊🙌

• Posted

I have had a number of cortizone injections. Three times in my shoulder, once in my thumb and quite a few times in my knees. It hurts a little but it's over and done with before you know it.I'm due for another one in a couple of weeks.

You will be fine Debra. Just grin and bear it. It's not that bad.

• Posted

Thanks for the words of encouragement much appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.